Mouth Permanently Open?

Bridie15

Mar 24, 2019
Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

My mum was moved to a nursing home last week after spending 8 weeks in hospital. She is on an end of life pathway.

Prior to the move to the nursing home mum had some speech, although quite faint. We couldn't always understand what mum was saying but a lot of words were clear even if jumbled up. She was laughing, but silently.

Since the move last Wednesday mum has not uttered a single word. Her mouth is permanently open, it never moves. She's not eaten or drank since last Wednesday. She barely ate in the hospital, 6 tsps food a day at most. The day after the move from hospital she never opened her eyes once.

Mum is only on her Parkinson's medication now. Morphine as and when required which hasn't been much to be honest.

Is mum's mouth being wide open part of late stage dementia? Why has this happened since the move or is it coincidence? Why has she stopped speaking

This is heartbreaking.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Bridie15
a warm welcome to TP
I am so sorry to read of your mum's situation
no wonder you feel heartbroken and have questions
I don't have answers, I'm afraid
a hospital admission is often difficult for those with dementia and can highlight a decline that was being masked by routines - sometimes the person recovers after settling back into their home/care home
I found chatting with the staff caring for my dad helped me, when they understood I really did want them to be open, even blunt, about how he was they answered any questions honestly and kindly

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Bridie15 and welcome to Talking Point.

Your mum is at End of Life and the things that you have been noticing are due to the body slowly shutting down.
She has stopped eating and drinking because the body will not be able to process it. She has moved into an unconscious state and as part of that has stopped talking. Her mouth has become slack as the muscles are relaxing. Once she gets close to the very end you will probably find that her limbs go cold and her breathing becomes irregular.

This is a difficult time and I found with mum that the hardest part was not knowing how long it would go on for.
((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moniqueishere