motorised stand aid

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience - positive or negative - with motorised stand aids, as opposed to a hoist?
Mum is currently using a Mackworth manual stand aid. She is really struggling to stand for any length of time, and we have an OT visit on Thurs to reassess. Last assessment was done in hospital, and I didn't get much input.
I'm reluctant to go down the hoist route - partly because I will sometimes have to use this on my own, and also because I feel it will stop her having to use her legs at all. I've looked at a couple online, and in principle they seem like a solution.
Any other suggestions gratefully recieved!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
H
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience - positive or negative - with motorised stand aids, as opposed to a hoist?
Mum is currently using a Mackworth manual stand aid. She is really struggling to stand for any length of time, and we have an OT visit on Thurs to reassess. Last assessment was done in hospital, and I didn't get much input.
I'm reluctant to go down the hoist route - partly because I will sometimes have to use this on my own, and also because I feel it will stop her having to use her legs at all. I've looked at a couple online, and in principle they seem like a solution.
Any other suggestions gratefully recieved!
Hi. My dad uses the Oxford Stand Aid which is battery operated. It needs 2 carers to operate it. It is heavy to move but it is really safe. You have a belt which goes around and under the armpits. You can also get the belt with attachment for legs to go under the persons legs. It’s called a transport belt I think. So much easier to use.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that it works well for your dad.
I hadn't looked at Oxford particularly, but they all look pretty similar.
Now just need to persuade OT....