Mothers Partner Requires Care. Will the home have to be sold ?

RobD

Feb 3, 2020
Hello, I hope someone can advise.

My Mothers long term partner for 30+ years has Alzheimer's. Following a fall in the home her partner is now in hospital. Unfortunately and for many varied reasons, my Mother will be unable to care for him beyond this point.

This is an awful question and there seems to be no other way of putting than directly...

Q. Where the home belongs to my Mother and deeds are in her name only. Will her home be used as an asset to pay for her partners care ?

I hope you can help us & thank you.

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
Only his assets can be used to cover his care costs.

Also, if one partner remains living in the family home, even if jointly owned the property is disregarded. So all in all I think your mum's property is safe.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Q. Where the home belongs to my Mother and deeds are in her name only. Will her home be used as an asset to pay for her partners care ?

Hi @RobD, sorry to hear about your Mum's predicament. Providing the property has always been in Mum's name (i.e. not transferred from joint ownership with her partner) it should be disregarded in assessment. That means it will not be considered when assessing your Mum's partners assets and therefore not used to fund his care.

All the best

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @RobD and welcome to DTP
I hope the previous posts have helped to clarify the situation for you.
I hope now you have found the forum you will continue to post

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Twice no - first because it's not his asset and second because your Mum still lives in it, so even if it was half his house, it would be disregarded.