Mother's Day

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
It is nearly Mother's Day and I really could do with some ideas as to what to buy Mum please. She is 95 in a Residential Care Home. She does not get up very often now so spends a lot of time in her room. I have looked at M & S and apart from chocs their gifts are most impractical, ie (I had to laugh) a glass tea cup (can you imagine how long that would last) packets of tea, bottles of drink, smellies etc. I have to be careful as Mum with lob out of the door or window anything strange put in the room. I have toyed with a photo frame but sorry to say that things walk from time to time. Apart from nightwear which is most uninspiring, can anyone have any thoughts. She does not read or do jigsaw puzzles but sleeps most of the time.

Forgot to add I live away so will be sending by post.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
can't go wrong with chocolates...maybe a tot of her favourite whiskey?? some special cake for her? a little cuddly teddy?

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Thank you that is a good idea. I will tell you a funny tale of when Mum was not so long in the residential home and was able to walk about. She was seen striiding up and down the corridors wacking as she went with her handbag (I told you she was a force to be reckoned with at 6 stone) everybody. She clouted several of the residents , which I had to apologise for, but took a wrong turn when she clouted one of the carers. The bag was duly taken away and in it they found a complete bottle of Port. Now to this day I have not found out who brought the port in but one of the relatives must have. This port was duly removed.

She was unlike my MIL who is long since gone from this world who got to the stage of incontinence pads and you can bet your bottom dollar these incontinence pads were anywhere but around her nether regions. The joy of finding them in her handbag along with lovely green oranges I shall never forget.

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
Sorry, you made me laugh with the 'lovely green oranges', how about some nicely scented soap or hand cream or some cotton hankies? xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Is she the sort of old lady who would like a fluffy jacket to sit up in or a cosy rug for her knees?

stonegreen

Jul 10, 2013
I thought I'd get Mum a stick on bird feeder - does of course depend on whether its a ground floor room for easy filling!

LeedsLass

Oct 13, 2014
Essex
I've just had a poster collage made up of photos of Mum throughout her life with family & friends via Snapfish. It's very hard isn't it but I thought it might give her visitors something to chat to her about too. Good luck!

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
I was thinking of doing a photo album as she has hardly any of her belongings with her as there is no room