Mother's bedroom smells like urine.

Shereebug

Jun 4, 2015
Hi all, my name is Sheree. My mother has Alzheimer's. My dad has insisted on taking care of her by himself. I contribute as much as I can. Grocery shopping, bathing mom, when she lets me. The problem is I continence. She wears depends, however my dad has become nose blind. I don't know how to clear the smell. It's gotten so bad I don't think I can walk into the bedroom now. In fact I know I can't! Help!!!!:confused:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If the room is very smelly it suggests a soaked mattress and maybe soaked pads and clothes hidden in drawers. Go on the hunt. Throw out or wash what you find. I use wee-away to get rid of smell. If the smell is particularly bad she could have a UTI so get her to the doctor for a urine test. You could also make an appointment with the Continence Nurse to see which pads they could give her. There is no need to pay for all of them yourself but a waterproof mattress cover and Kylie sheets are a must. People with incontinence tend to develop skin problems so good hygiene is essential plus an emollient for dry skin or rashes. It takes dedication to deal with incontinence but it's do-able. A commode in the bedroom might also help if she doesn't make it to the bathroom in time.

Last edited:

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Hi Sheree, everything Beate has said is spot on, prevention is definitely better than cure so everything you can put in place to prevent 'leakages' will really help. For general laundry - sheets, clothes etc I use Dettol Laundry Liquid and I think they now have a washing powder in the range as well - as I have said elsewhere on here it is the only thing I've found that really gets laundry smelling clean otherwise stubborn odours can really linger and you often only notice when you're ironing things...... :(