Registered User
Sep 11, 2003

help needed,My mother has been diagnosed with this traggic desease.Alziemers,She has lived with us for the "past ten months",whilst this diagnosis was"on going"
This situation is causing many upsets
My family and I need a to relax in our own home !!!!!!!!
we hope hope that when she move,s into a bungalow, just around the corner from us,We might have a few moments

to ourselves,

This might sound strange , but whatever my feelings,I need my family,but i cannot turn my back on my mother

Any help,or guidence would be most apprieceated


Registered User
Oct 27, 2005

i have the same trouble with my dad he does not live with me so i got him a phone with my name instead of a number on it so all night and half of the day he rings up just to say hellow then the phone goes dead then you are worried that he has fullen or something so i am still at his every call so do not get a phone elts you get no rest


Registered User
Jul 12, 2005
Mum and Dad with AD

Hi Adi & Ironmaiden,

It is difficult when you are caring for someone with AD - and don't let anyone tell you any different! Those suffering with AD require full time care for the rest of their lives, which can be financially, emotionally & physically demanding.

It does sound as though you are both having a particuarly hard time dealing with your parents' illness, and it also sounds as though their illness has progressed somewhat.

It is perfectly understandable that you have your own families, some of whom may also require your full time attention, but you must give serious thought to your Mum & Dad's care in the long term.

Please speak with your GP, Consultant, Social Worker or CPN about your current and future arrangements, and be realistic.

It may be that you - and they - would be perfectly safe and happy with a home care package, whereby you could provide some of the care, along with paid carers who would come into the home to provide assistance with meals, bathing etc.

There is also the option of home care package with respite - where the home care package would apply, and where every so often, your Mum or Dad could go into a care home for a week or two to allow you to have a break.

If this is not possible, for whatever reason, you might want to consider full time care in a residential care home or EMI unit, where your parents would recieve 24 hour care from staff in the home.

Your consultant and/or social worker will be able to discuss these options in further detail with you.

Until you are able to reach suitable arrangments, I urge that you investigate "silent" phone calls from your Mum or Dad, and that you do not leave them for any extended period without supervision.

I wish you all the best,

Charly x :)