Mother will not get in bed

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
We are trying to put our mother to bed following our standard routine. But tonight is the first night our mother is refusing to get into bed. Early this morning we found her on the floor beside her bed. I don't know if she fell from bed or slipped getting out of bed , but it appears during the day that she had not sustained any injury. She has been walking around this afternoon with and without her stick, but this evening she started to spend more time playing with her skirt and talking most of the time what I can only call gibberish. But after nearly 3 hours , we have not yet got her into bed.

Has any one else encountered this situation and can offer me any advice.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Hi Greyone, I didn't want to read and run but not sure if any of this will help, could your Mum be scared of getting into bed again if she did fall out last night? She may have bumped her head in the fall (if there was a fall) and be agitated and more confused as a result, without it showing as much of physical injury, she may have a UTI which might explain the falling out of bed and the extra confusion tonight. If no improvement or you're still worried tomorrow it might have to be a trip to A&E :( for a check up and urine sample to rule out a UTI or any other cause. Having ruled out any ailment it may just be that the fall/slip shook her up and the effect may last quite a bit longer than it would without dementia as a factor. It pretty much makes everything worse.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
My mum is started to act stranger than normal and has become very incoherent in the last 48 hours, some long weekend this is turning out to be. Sorry I can't offer any advice, I'm baffled myself. She did go to bed though but after a lot of stalling

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Hi Essie

There's possibly more than a grain of truth in what you say. She seemed fine this afternoon, she went about her usual routine to tidy the lounge and then sat down to rest for 15 minutes before resuming her usual seat. He problems seem to have started late afternoon when he speech became garbled most but not all of the time and she started to fiddle more with her skirt and walking stick. I think she resisted going up the stairs because of her fall and it was touch and go getting her onto the landing. We had to sit her on a stool for about 20 minutes. Then we managed to get her onto the side of the bed. In the end we managed to get her into bed by lifting her as delicately as possible. She's in bed now but calling out, At the moment (11:48) I'm hoping there is no physical damage. If this persists we will be taking advice be sure of that. Thanks for posting.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
We may have something in common here. I cant remember how long it is my mother has been talking incoherently but I don't think it has been long. She seemed so fine this afternoon that at the moment I'm so sure there is no physical harm and all this is due to anxiety and has also been acting stranger by playing with her skirt all evening , trying to fold it for some reason. She has done that before but only at intervals and when she's woken up in the night last Sunday. She's also been doing what I think is trying to polish or just rub her stick. Good luck to us both this weekend and do please post to let me know how things progress.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
The end result of our night's work is that the OOH doctor's diagnosis is a UTI. This time we're trying a liquid antibiotic with the hope that this will be easier to administer, although that may already have been disproved. We have all now had some sleep.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Glad you have found a cause for this sudden problem and you have already started treatment. Hope it works soon and she is calmer.

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Glad , yes and very relieved. As I write she's sleeping in bed after her long note and we're taking it easy. One way I'm glad it happened at easter and we have this long holiday.

This morning o have been thinking back to her first UTI, when I was with her at the time. I'm very relieved that we decided to call out the doctor and that she'll be much improved before next weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support.

marmarlade

Jan 26, 2015
bad nights

hubby is in care but still wont go to bed only when he wants to some times when we visit he looks so tired but the other visit he was all angry and grumpy put it down to a bad night but later on had a call from the home he had a water infection this was making him angry and grumpy because he didnt understand what was wrong, they got him treatment right away and the next visit he was a lot better ,he still wanders around at nights but the care staff can go home to sleep thats what most of the problem is with coping with a loved one at home i had 7 months of about 2 hours sleep a night so know where you are coming from

Greyone

Sep 11, 2013
UK
Thanks very much indeed for the insight. I'd never considered my mum's lack of understanding about what was going on. We'd forgotten all about my mum's history of UTI's, despite similarities with the first one which I still vividly recall. At the moment our problem is understanding her needs because she cannot talk properly. We've been told the AB's should work in 3 days so I hope she stops spitting them out so they an take effect. Thanks for getting in touch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513