Mother now moved to LA Care services - some money matters.

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
This seems quite complicated. I have had a letter from the NHS fully funded service to say it ends in a few weeks (as a result of a review). As I understand it the Care Home send all the bills to me. There seems to be a Nurse fee to be paid to the Home for £112 (statutory). Presumably this reduces any Care Home fees payable. Is the LA Care Service supposed to initiate a financial assessment with me as I need to know how to handle all these bills especially when the amount she has goes below the threshold?

Thanks.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Sorry I have no experience with this, others here do and I'm sure they will be along soon.
I just wanted to give your post a bump up to the top

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Is the LA Care Service supposed to initiate a financial assessment with me as I need to know how to handle all these bills especially when the amount she has goes below the threshold?"

If she is approaching the £24250 threshold contact the LA yourself and ask for a financial assessment, remember that funds can deplete very fast when self funding.

Also apply for Attendance Allowance as this can be paid when self funding, you may even be able to get the eligibility proven whilst still CHC funded so that she can start receiving it when she becomes self funded.

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
"Is the LA Care Service supposed to initiate a financial assessment with me as I need to know how to handle all these bills especially when the amount she has goes below the threshold?"

If she is approaching the £24250 threshold contact the LA yourself and ask for a financial assessment, remember that funds can deplete very fast when self funding.

Also apply for Attendance Allowance as this can be paid when self funding, you may even be able to get the eligibility proven whilst still CHC funded so that she can start receiving it when she becomes self funded.

She is a few thousand above the £24,500. I did not know one has to apply for an assessment. Otherwise do they assume you will pay regardless of limits?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
If you dont ask for an assessment then the LA wont realise that she is approaching the limit and she will just keep getting billed by the CH

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
This seems quite complicated. I have had a letter from the NHS fully funded service to say it ends in a few weeks (as a result of a review). As I understand it the Care Home send all the bills to me. There seems to be a Nurse fee to be paid to the Home for £112 (statutory). Presumably this reduces any Care Home fees payable. Is the LA Care Service supposed to initiate a financial assessment with me as I need to know how to handle all these bills especially when the amount she has goes below the threshold?

Thanks.
Contact the LA to get a Financial Assessment completed now TODAY. I mentioned before that since the LA will be part funding do you know if they are willing to pay the cost of the current CH?

Do not at this stage sign any contract with the CH.

As your you are near the threshold you can ask them to pay the CH in full. The LA then bill you (monthly in my Mom's case). This can take months to set up so you should also speak to the CH to see what they expect to happen.

The £112 is paid by the NHS to the CH direct. The CH have to apply for this and will be aware of the process. Whether this comes off the bill or not is again something to ask the home.
:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968