Mother now in hospital.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
My mother was taken to hospital yesterday by ambulance suffering from severe stomach pains. I couldnt initially be contacted, but when I was, and phoned A&E, she had, mysteriously only been there 18 minutes...must have been a very slow ambulance!
Two hours later, she hadnt been seen by Dr. Two hours after that, she had "just" been seen and refered to the "medical team"
Three hours after that they had "just started" to assess her.
This seems to me to be very slow progress...and for an 80 year old with dementia..
Well, the assessment doesnt seem to have revealed much about the pain...however I did receive the news..did I realise she was suffering from dementia..rather odd as this was the first thing I said in the very first call I made.
She is being kept in for observation. I am not sure if this hospital stay is a good or bad thing as she is now more confused than ever if such a thing is possible..but on the other hand Im hoping they can rehydrate her etc as she hasnt really been eating and drinking for days.
I am so tired.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry Natasha.

Sadly it is not uncommon for people in whatever condition to be kept waiting hours in A&E.

We sat with my mother in A&E for 10 hours before she saw a doctor. Apparently once a Triage Nurse establishes it isn`t a priority, the patient becaomes part of the queue. :(

I hope they discover what is wrong.

Take care xx

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Hi Natasha
I'm so sorry you've both been put through such an ordeal. GrannyG is right about the assessment process in A&E I think. My eldest son cut his knee almost to the bone. We were shunted from a minor injuries dept. in one hospital (no one available to do an Xray) to the main hosp. I must admit it was nowhere as long a wait as your mum had but after they eventually shoved 7 stiches in it he was told "You can go now. You should be able to walk on it". He got off the trolley and nearly fainted with the pain so I was told to put him in a wheelchair to get him to the car. They didn't even give him crutches - and 2 days later it was infected. That was 11 weeks ago and he's still having treatment!

If they can do that to a fit 17 year old who's quite capable of making his thoughts known, there isn't much hope, is there, for an 80 year old with dementia.

I hope they sort out your mum's problem soon. Meanwhile, take care of yourself too and try to get some rest.

Best wishes
Chris

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
.did I realise she was suffering from dementia..rather odd as this was the first thing I said in the very first call I made.

No how you feel when I went into A&E with mum , mum had a brace around her neck , because she feel backwards , I was telling every one she has a dementia so will be more confused . while they just carryed on as normal 3 hours later they decide they going to do a memorey test on her .

while I just gave up & thought OK carry on do what you want , because no one was believing me.

LIZ50

Mar 23, 2008
Hampshire
Hi Natasha
Sorry to hear your mother is in hospital and that she makes a good recovery.
My mum has recently had a stay in hospital and she was placed on the acute medical unit which was not a good thing as the nurses there (through no fault of their own but through a lack of training) did not understand about dementia. In fact, one nurse told my daughter that my mum was a nuisance as she kept wandering around the ward. Good job that nurse didn't say it to me! I even got to the stage of thinking why did I bother to even mention Mum's dementia as no-one seemed to register the implications of it.
It seems to me that unless they are put on the elderly persons ward where there is at least some understanding of dementia then it's pointless, as a stay on any other ward for a person with dementia can end up causing them more stress (as well as the carer). Thankfully, Mum has now settled back into her familiar routine and I think that is the key word with dementia sufferers - familiarity. Anything out of their boundary can unsettle them.
At least they will be able to rehydrate her which will help but in the meantime, look after yourself as well.
Love Liz x

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Dear Natasha, from someone else with their mother just recently admitted to hospital ... yes, the confusion and anxiety is distressing .... and I have seen a rapid marked decline in mum's dementia over a matter of 72 hours or so .... BUT .... she is where she needs to be .....(sorry, that's such a cliche!) .....

In my case I have seen nothing but understanding and respect for mum in the hospital environment .... from porter / auxilliary to consultant they seem to have understood her dementia and associated needs alongside the physical concerns. Yes, it takes a toll, because as a carer we need to try to be there for each consultation etc .....(impossible I know when we have other family and need to be in probably four places at any one time) .......

I'm sorry the admission was so distressing .....

Stay strong, Love, Karen, x

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Many thanks for all your support. Well, mum discharged a couple of days later, arrived in ambulance, "unloaded" in a wheelchair..first comment
"where am I, I havent seen this place before"
Terrible evening trying to resettle her, and three days later things are really no better..is telling staff nobody ever comes to see her when I have virtually moved in there last few days!
apparantly is now wandering the corridors at night and going into other residents rooms disturbing them...and as mum is so un steady on her feet will probably end up falling over.
Is also doing unpleasant things like hiding used continence stuff in her room, tracked down by me due to smell.
Am seriously considering finding alternative arrangements for her as I dont feel the level of care is sufficient!!

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi everyone,
I think this raises the question of how dementia patients are dealt with in A&E etc. I've mentioned in another post, this week my Dad was sent to one hospital - then to the Emergency Assessment Unit of another, then admitted to a ward - waiting for a scan for a suspected DVT. He had no medication and no food - the carer who was with him desperately tried to make him sandwiches. I still haven't got to the bottom of what happened.

I finally tracked him down the next day - when I finally got through to the Ward I was told "They are just trying to get him back to bed". I asked how he was, and was told "Well he was very agitated through the night", to which I repled "He has Alzheimer's, he's always like that". To which they replied "Oh, so it's normal, then?". Yes. I don't want to think about what went on. How can you leave someone like that overnight with no special care. One of the carers at the CH told me "they were glad to get rid of him". Well fine, but he's still a person. It's not his fault.