Mother not taking meds

Marie111

Sep 8, 2019
Just found out mother has not taken Donezepil since November.
I went over by train cos she said they wouldn’t give her a home visit. Nurse said they offered her one but she was rude to him and receptionist and put the phone down.

then she said to me they wouldn’t give her one. Then she says the usual thing ‘ I’ve never lied to you have I. But she has and often.
Then she says she says she’s having a few days break from them but the nurse said it’s a few months

Then she gets angry with receptionist because they won’t accept a bank card. And she tries to pay with money but she hasn’t got enough.
Are her pills supposed to help with anger or repeating herself?

Her legs are terrible. Swollen crusty and now infected. The district nurse went last week so understand why they didn’t do something then.

Im ringing her up to check she’s had the antibiotics as she’s saying they are making her feel sick. Hopefully she has taken them. Because this morning she said she hadn’t but then said she had!

I thought her carers were getting her prescriptions but the GP said it should be up to family to check all this. I don’t live near her.
I don’t know anything about dementia and trying to make her see logic isn’t working.

Is there a support group cos I’m finding it stressful? My health isn’t the best.

Also I’m trying to deal with the OPG and her solicitors who took a lot of her bungalow money and get her moved nearer. So I’ve go t different issues going on.

thank you

CarolynJones

Feb 23, 2020
Just found out mother has not taken Donezepil since November.
I went over by train cos she said they wouldn’t give her a home visit. Nurse said they offered her one but she was rude to him and receptionist and put the phone down.

then she said to me they wouldn’t give her one. Then she says the usual thing ‘ I’ve never lied to you have I. But she has and often.
Then she says she says she’s having a few days break from them but the nurse said it’s a few months

Then she gets angry with receptionist because they won’t accept a bank card. And she tries to pay with money but she hasn’t got enough.
Are her pills supposed to help with anger or repeating herself?

Her legs are terrible. Swollen crusty and now infected. The district nurse went last week so understand why they didn’t do something then.

Im ringing her up to check she’s had the antibiotics as she’s saying they are making her feel sick. Hopefully she has taken them. Because this morning she said she hadn’t but then said she had!

I thought her carers were getting her prescriptions but the GP said it should be up to family to check all this. I don’t live near her.
I don’t know anything about dementia and trying to make her see logic isn’t working.

Is there a support group cos I’m finding it stressful? My health isn’t the best.

Also I’m trying to deal with the OPG and her solicitors who took a lot of her bungalow money and get her moved nearer. So I’ve go t different issues going on.

thank you
I am going through the same thing. it's a nightmare as I live 4 hours away and can visit every 6 weeks due to work though my brothers are more local. took me ages to get blister packs but getting her to take her regular medication is stressful "I have my own system". gets angry when we tell her she must take them. god knows with donepezil as I think they are prescribed separately. Her being rude and discourteous is a new thing which I am really finding stressful to deal with. So, no an answer yet but your local ASoc or Social Services should be able to recommend support for you, the carer. Good luck - I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!! x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
That is a lot happening and I feel for you.

Donepezil slows the progression of dementia for some but agitation and repeating may continue.

It may be worth clicking the following link to see what support services are available locally
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

It may also be worth talking to the experts on the helpline as they may be able to talk you through how to go about getting assistance, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday
9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is also available in the UK and you can see the details of that if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba