Mother new case

Mad mick

Dec 4, 2019
Hello folks my mother has just been given the news that she has type f 100 can I ask what I have to look forward too need some advice thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
my mother has just been given the news that she has type f 100

The only classification of types of dementia starting with an F that I am aware of is the ICD (International Clasification of Diseases) https://icd.who.int/browse10/2016/en#/F00
The ICD is used by the World Heath Organisation for collection of statistical data, it does not show an F100, even if it did it would only be a classification with no indication of the state or probably rate of progression.

Unless another member has more information your best bet is to ask for more details.

Is there any chance that a typo has occurred somewhere along the line eg FTD would make sense?

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
I have seen a list of F followed by numbers to denote type of dementia. I'm at work but will have a scout around when I get home, I've just got to remember where I saw it!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
This looks like the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) in which Chapter V is Mental and Behavioural Disorders.

https://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online2007/index.htm?gf00.htm+

This is about Diagnosis (ie identification of the disease). It doesn't say anything much about what one might expect in terms of Prognosis (ie characteristics and development of the disease).

Within that chapter are codes for Dementia as follows:

(F00) Dementia in Alzheimer's disease
(F01) Vascular dementia
(F02) Dementia in other diseases classified elsewhere
(F03) Unspecified dementia

Each of the above is then further broken down to give more detailed variants. For example, Alzheimer's Disease is classified thus:

F00* Dementia in Alzheimer's disease ( G30.-+ )
Alzheimer's disease is a primary degenerative cerebral disease of unknown etiology with characteristic neuropathological and neurochemical features. The disorder is usually insidious in onset and develops slowly but steadily over a period of several years.

F00.0* Dementia in Alzheimer's disease with early onset ( G30.0+ )
Dementia in Alzheimer's disease with onset before the age of 65, with a relatively rapid deteriorating course and with marked multiple disorders of the higher cortical functions.
Alzheimer's disease, type 2
Presenile dementia, Alzheimer's type
Primary degenerative dementia of the Alzheimer's type, presenile onset

F00.1* Dementia in Alzheimer's disease with late onset ( G30.1+ )
Dementia in Alzheimer's disease with onset after the age of 65, usually in the late 70s or thereafter, with a slow progression, and with memory impairment as the principal feature.
Alzheimer's disease, type 1
Primary degenerative dementia of the Alzheimer's type, senile onset
Senile dementia, Alzheimer's type

F00.2* Dementia in Alzheimer's disease, atypical or mixed type ( G30.8+ )
Atypical dementia, Alzheimer's type

F00.9* Dementia in Alzheimer's disease, unspecified ( G30.9+ )

I suspect that the f 100 in the original post is a typographical error.

Last edited:

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
My mum was recently diagnosed and on diagnosis/medical care plan letter we were sent from memory clinic it said F001 dementia in alzheimer disease with late onset. I tried googling F001 and couldn't find much of use to us, maybe some sort of code used medically maybe?

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
This looks like the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) in which Chapter V is Mental and Behavioural Disorders. Within that chapter are codes for Dementia as follows:

(F00) Dementia in Alzheimer's disease
(F01) Vascular dementia
(F01.1) Multi-infarct dementia
(F02) Dementia in other diseases classified elsewhere
(F02.0) Dementia in Pick's disease
(F02.1) Dementia in Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease
(F02.2) Dementia in Huntington's disease
(F02.3) Dementia in Parkinson's disease
(F02.4) Dementia in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) disease
(F03) Unspecified dementia

I suspect that the f 100 in the original post is a typographical error.

Thank you @northumbrian_k, that is the list I have seen, I think it was when my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and the list was with the bumph included with the advisory for her. You have saved me a lot of time digging through paperwork!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Thank you @northumbrian_k, that is the list I have seen, I think it was when my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and the list was with the bumph included with the advisory for her. You have saved me a lot of time digging through paperwork!

About 15 years ago I was a data analyst and had to know about ICD coding so it was relatively straightforward for me. It doesn't help the original poster to understand what might be in store.

@Mad mick - I'm sorry to hear about you mother as I presume that she has just been given a diagnosis of dementia. You have found a good resource in Dementia Talking Point as the members have an amazing amount of experience and are ever willing to share. A starting point is that dementia develops differently in different people so, whilst there are similarities and common experiences, it is not possible to say how an individual will be affected. Keep reading and posting and others will be along with advice.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I apologise if you nod off on reading this but it may be of interest to those of an analytical mindset. It is worth saying, for completeness, that a new version of the International Classification of Diseases ICD-11 was released in 2018 for preparations to allow roll out. The timetable for roll out suggests that Member States (of the World Health Organization) will begin reporting health data using ICD-11 from January 2022. Over time the much different structure and codes in the new version will be used more widely and replace the current codes. This may take a long time to filter down to all who are involved in diagnostic coding and/or analysis.

None of this is relevant to the question of how the disease - whether diagnosed or not - may develop in a particular individual.

Last edited:

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Good afternoon @Mad mick, and welcome. Can I ask what are the current issues and challenges that you and Mum are experiencing? This will help the forum members to give some more directed advice to help your current situation. All the best.