Mother-in-law

Django

Jul 25, 2013
My mother-in-law, Marjorie, has been in a care home for several months due, initially, to physical health problems. However, Marjorie has been having some memory problems and following an assessment, has been diagnosed with vascular dementia. My husband spoke to staff from the memory assessment team this week who advised that Marjorie should be able to remain in the unit that she is currently on as she is of no risk to anyone as she cannot mobilise on her own. We also added that staff at the home have been taking Marjorie onto the dementia unit to 'visit' and when we have seen her she looked totally out of place and she, herself, was very concerned about the other residents there. Today we have received a telephone message from social services asking us to contact them as it is about Marjorie moving to another unit. How do we stand in saying that we would like Marjorie to remain in the current unit, especially as the memory assessment team have advised that there is no need to move her?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My mother-in-law, Marjorie, has been in a care home for several months due, initially, to physical health problems. However, Marjorie has been having some memory problems and following an assessment, has been diagnosed with vascular dementia. My husband spoke to staff from the memory assessment team this week who advised that Marjorie should be able to remain in the unit that she is currently on as she is of no risk to anyone as she cannot mobilise on her own. We also added that staff at the home have been taking Marjorie onto the dementia unit to 'visit' and when we have seen her she looked totally out of place and she, herself, was very concerned about the other residents there. Today we have received a telephone message from social services asking us to contact them as it is about Marjorie moving to another unit. How do we stand in saying that we would like Marjorie to remain in the current unit, especially as the memory assessment team have advised that there is no need to move her?

Hello Django and welcome to talking point, I am sorry I can't help you but I will bump this post up the top again and hope you get some responses,

Best wishes Jeanyx

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Django, a warm welcome to Talking Point, may I suggest that you speak to the care home manager and ask why your mum in law is being taken to "visit" another part of the home, who has requested this? and why? especially as mum in law has only been newly diagnosed:( and seems very distressed by these "visits" (you may need to be a bit of an actress here and really stress how it is upsetting her;))when you speak to SS ask them to speak to the memory assessment team BEFORE you will discuss any "moving" for mum in law, request that you are emailed with the results of their consultation with memory team, or else you may be playing phone tag for sometime, always best to get something in writing in case you are speaking to too many people!
I hope very much you get the answers you need soon, please let us know how things are and do keep posting.
Take care
Chris x

Django

Jul 25, 2013
Hello Django, a warm welcome to Talking Point, may I suggest that you speak to the care home manager and ask why your mum in law is being taken to "visit" another part of the home, who has requested this? and why? especially as mum in law has only been newly diagnosed:( and seems very distressed by these "visits" (you may need to be a bit of an actress here and really stress how it is upsetting her;))when you speak to SS ask them to speak to the memory assessment team BEFORE you will discuss any "moving" for mum in law, request that you are emailed with the results of their consultation with memory team, or else you may be playing phone tag for sometime, always best to get something in writing in case you are speaking to too many people!
I hope very much you get the answers you need soon, please let us know how things are and do keep posting.
Take care
Chris x

Thanks so much for this advice - it is very helpful to us and has given us a great starting point.