mother in law recently diagnosed with dementia

racquel

Jun 24, 2014
GP has just given us the results of her MRI which showed brain shrinkage and he mentioned that it could be a sign of dementia, she was fine at the time but in telephone calls to relations she is blaming us saying that we are trying to get her locked up. She has yet to go to the memory clinic to diagnose what type and severity she has and says to relations that she will not go, what should we do?:confused:

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
Hello, I suggest telling her as little as possible and just saying you will be taking her to the memory clininc - it does not sound scary or sinister....Probably you need to not be surprised when she blames you or does other things which are not normal. With my Mum I tried to think of it like a broken head without being able to see a plaster.....:cool:

GP has just given us the results of her MRI which showed brain shrinkage and he mentioned that it could be a sign of dementia, she was fine at the time but in telephone calls to relations she is blaming us saying that we are trying to get her locked up. She has yet to go to the memory clinic to diagnose what type and severity she has and says to relations that she will not go, what should we do?:confused:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Unfortunately you can't make her go. All you can do is play it down, keep it very low key and try to see if she will accept something along the lines of eyesight test results in glasses correcting poor eyesight, hearing test results in hearing aid and clear hearing. So memory test results, if necessary, medication to help her memory/confusion or whatever she says she is feeling.

Dementia is a very frightening word, we have lived with it for 9 years and it still frightens the hell out of me.

Jay