Mother-in -law diagnosed yesterday

jfinlay

Nov 5, 2015
Bangor, UK
Hi all, I'm James from Bangor. Yesterday my wife's mother, 62, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's which came as a big shock. We knew something was wrong and that brain shrinkage was possible, but to find out it's Alzheimer's, especially at that young age, was tough.

To be honest I don't know much about the condition but want to do everything I can to help my wife and her mum cope, and especially do whatever I can to slow the condition down. I really hope to get some good ideas from others here who are dealing with the same problem.

My thanks to everyone who contributes and supports others on this forum.

James

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello James and welcome to Talking Point.
There is a whole wealth of experience on here and if there is something in particular you want to know about it is worth typing it in the search box and seeing what comes up. Otherwise, please do start a new thread.
Has your mum been started on Aricept/donepezil? It is a drug which slows down the progression of Alzheimers.

jfinlay

Nov 5, 2015
Bangor, UK
Hi Canary, thanks very much for the welcome. She's starting a prescription today, hopefully one of those, I'll need to check with her. I've heard some promising stories about medication from friends who have loved ones with Alzheimer's so I'm really hoping the meds have a positive effect. Thanks again for the kind welcome and advice