mother going from NHS fully funded to LA funded..

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
After assessment my mother is having this change. She has just over the 23250 limit in savings and a full state pension and a couple of other small ones. She has no property. I was wondering how her finances will be dealt with as I am currently her Deputy. I would be grateful for any advice on how the LA will want to get at any contributions she has to pay and how the fact she is just over the limit what happens when she goes below. Many thanks.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
After assessment my mother is having this change. She has just over the 23250 limit in savings and a full state pension and a couple of other small ones. She has no property. I was wondering how her finances will be dealt with as I am currently her Deputy. I would be grateful for any advice on how the LA will want to get at any contributions she has to pay and how the fact she is just over the limit what happens when she goes below. Many thanks.
Normally the LA will bill your Mother/you as deputy and then you just pay them. With my LA it is every month, others vary. The fact that her savings are just over should not make much difference and they should just bill at first for the full amount till the funds go down to the limit.

Have the LA agreed to fund the CH your Mother is in at the moment? And have they already completed a financial assessment?

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
Normally the LA will bill your Mother/you as deputy and then you just pay them. With my LA it is every month, others vary. The fact that her savings are just over should not make much difference and they should just bill at first for the full amount till the funds go down to the limit.

Have the LA agreed to fund the CH your Mother is in at the moment? And have they already completed a financial assessment?

Thanks, yes we have not had the final assessment yet but she is just over the upper threshold but I understand they pick away at the amount until its down to £14500 or so. Does anyone know how this works? Like, do they request access for Direct Debits or do I as Deputy stay in control of how the money goes out of the account?

I have also been told (by them) that my mother could go in and out of NHS/LA care depending on her condition at each review Has anyone experienced this toing and fringe in this way (although I suspect there is a lot of politics in this process)?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"I have also been told (by them) that my mother could go in and out of NHS/LA care depending on her condition at each review "

Assuming that you mean that CHC has been withdrawn at a review my first move would be to challenge that review.

Depending on the timings there is a chance that CHC will not be withdrawn until your challenge has been decided.

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
"I have also been told (by them) that my mother could go in and out of NHS/LA care depending on her condition at each review "

Assuming that you mean that CHC has been withdrawn at a review my first move would be to challenge that review.

Depending on the timings there is a chance that CHC will not be withdrawn until your challenge has been decided.

Yes CHC is about to be withdrawn (I assume CHC is the NHS system and the Local Authority (LA) system is the one where her pension and other monies are taken from her income/savings). I do not have Deputyship for Health so am just a listener at these decision meetings. I wish I knew more about how the Carer service works in this respect. Is there a public forum on Care somewhere?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
As far as LA are concerned she will be self funding until she drops below the £23250. After that all her pensions will be taken and she will be charged £1 for every £250 of savings she has until that drops to £14,500 after which they will just take her pension.

This was correct a couple of years ago so you need to check.

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
As far as LA are concerned she will be self funding until she drops below the £23250. After that all her pensions will be taken and she will be charged £1 for every £250 of savings she has until that drops to £14,500 after which they will just take her pension.

This was correct a couple of years ago so you need to check.

Yes still holds. Is that charge £1 per £250 billed per month or Year?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Thanks, yes we have not had the final assessment yet but she is just over the upper threshold but I understand they pick away at the amount until its down to £14500 or so. Does anyone know how this works? Like, do they request access for Direct Debits or do I as Deputy stay in control of how the money goes out of the account?
When the savings are between £14250 and £23,250 for very £250 above £14250 they take £1/week towards care. No idea why it is done like this.:confused:

For my Mom the LA send a yearly statement of what her contribution should be each week. Then every month they invoice for that amount and I pay them from Mom's accounts.

The £14250 is your Mothers to use for whatever (except for her care) she wants. She does not have to wait till the rest is gone.

As she is coming off CHC have you applied for Attendance Allowance?
:)

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
When the savings are between £14250 and £23,250 for very £250 above £14250 they take £1/week towards care. No idea why it is done like this.:confused:

For my Mom the LA send a yearly statement of what her contribution should be each week. Then every month they invoice for that amount and I pay them from Mom's accounts.

The £14250 is your Mothers to use for whatever (except for her care) she wants. She does not have to wait till the rest is gone.

As she is coming off CHC have you applied for Attendance Allowance?
:)

does someone else know if the LA take only the state pension or all her pensions? She has two other small ones.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"does someone else know if the LA take only the state pension or all her pensions? She has two other small ones."

Assuming there is not a surviving spouse they take all the pensions.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
does someone else know if the LA take only the state pension or all her pensions? She has two other small ones.

The LA takes her state pension and ALL private pensions but return approximately £24 a week to pay towards toiletries, clothes, hair cut etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513