Most deserving for financial help

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by CYN, Feb 28, 2008.

1. CYN

CYN Registered User

Jan 4, 2008
    east sussex
    Help The Age have said Support for medical research into illnesses affecting people in old age is not viewed as a priority by the general public.
    Cancer came top at (81%) Heart disease (52%) children's diseases ,asthma, leukaemia (50%) Only (20%) voted for Arthritis or Dementia regarding extra funding. Says it all really

Cynthia.

2. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    It does say it all. The irony is that so many of us will suffer from age-related diseases eventually. Perhaps what we need to do is to appeal to the selfishness in people.

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I agree it says it all, but they are still believing dementia to be an old person`s disease, completely ignoring how many younger people are affected.

Personally I don`t mind if a cure isn`t availavble for me when I`m old and ill. What would be more inportant to me then would be the provision of quality care to enable me go in dignity, comfort and peace.

Just my opinion.

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Depressing isn't it? You know what's going to happen? We'll find a cure for cancer and heart disease and then all that will happen is that virtually everyone will end up with dementia and crippled with arthritis.

5. chip

chip Registered User

Jul 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I agree Dementia is not only a elderly problem these days. 2 in my family were 60 and my husband 49. I know that some are even younger and its to get worse as well. If they don't start to do something about it now, i dread to think what a system that cant cope now will be like then.