mornings are hard....

lesley1958

Mar 24, 2015
Bristol
Panic sets in the moment I wake up. And I am not even at home with Dad; my mum is. Anyone have any tips for calmimg oneself down to face the day?

Going to be with Dad for a couple of hours today so Mum can get out and am, I admit, terrified of how it will be. When I think of he things that I used to waste time worrying about it all seems so incredibly trivial compared to this!

Wishing you all good and happy times today.

Lesley

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I always tell myself it's never as bad as I anticipate.
If I know I'm going to have tough day I try to arrange something nice at the end ie see a film or meet a friend.
I find having something to look forward to helps.

lesley1958

Mar 24, 2015
Bristol
I always tell myself it's never as bad as I anticipate.
If I know I'm going to have tough day I try to arrange something nice at the end ie see a film or meet a friend.
I find having something to look forward to helps.

Thanks, Cat27. That's good advice. I have arranged to go for a massage this evening so I shall look forward to that.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Not every morning, Lesley, but some mornings I struggle too, with waking up and the first thought being dread at the morning routine. Weekday or weekend, at some stage I have to sort out Mil getting washed and dressed, every day without fail, and I never know in advance what mood she will be in, or how 'easy' and stressfree (or stressful, for that matter!) it will all be. The sheer groundhog day feeling can and does get to me on occasion. I've always been a pretty early riser, nowadays, its usually around 5.30am that I wake, and I've actually found that helps. It gives me (unless Mil does one of her 'I want breakfast at 5a.m. or earlier' stunts) a couple of hours that I treat as 'me' time. I do one of the 'photo a day' challenges on FB, and an hour spent either finding and editing, or taking and editing a photo that fits the days theme, is something I really enjoy and it always puts me in a better mood to start the day :) Maybe if you could create even a short oasis of time to do something you enjoy - some 'me' time - before you have to face anything else, it might help you too? A pamper session, or a short walk or anything that you might enjoy? It might help you start the day on a more upbeat note :) xxx

lesley1958

Mar 24, 2015
Bristol
Ann Mac, that's a really good idea - treat the waking up early as a positive rather than a negative thing. So simple but so sensible and useful. Thank you! x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If you are stuck at home put on some music he would like. I have a collection of songs from Hollywood musicals which John enjoys but everyone will have their own tastes. If he is mobile you could sort through some old photo albums with him. Get him to help with small jobs eg drying dishes, dusting etc. if you can go out then a walk him on foot or in a chair is good for raising the spirits.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
When I sit with dad giving mum time out I dig out the old photos, he is better with when he is young than us as kids. The fact I don't know who of the people are in the pics helps as he doesn't feel "like the village idiot" (as he puts it). We collect a few together to ask mum on her return. We go through the same thing over and over but we get there in the end.