Morning or Night

paulineanna

Oct 25, 2013
west Lancashire
This last couple of weeks my husband has had a sleep/doze in the afternoon woke up and thought it was morning this had happened three times now. Until this evening I have been able to persuade him otherwise but not tonight. As he hasn't yet been told by DVLA to stop driving he has gone out in the car to brush up leaves in the church yard which he does most mornings. Has anyone any ideas how to "persuade" him what time of day it really is. Last night I told him to look at his watch which shows 24hr clock tonight he refused to look at his watch. What on earth can I do ??

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear your husband's problem. I had a similar experience with my mum but I'm afraid I never found a solution. My husband is now turning night into day as it were. He is finding it very difficult to sleep at night and as a result is exhausted during the day and therefore sleeps a lot of the day.

This factsheet talks a little about the day/night/time issue -

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=152

PatsyAnne

May 15, 2012
Milton Keynes
My husband is the same. He dozes on and off through the day and is awake most of the night. It often seems he waits until I get into bed and then he gets up. I sleep in another room as he doesn't think its right I should be in his bed. This only started about 5 months ago.
PatsyAnne x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's a shame PatsyAnne. I have tried sleeping in the spare room but inevitably I need to get up to check that he's ok. Toilet issue always seem to happen when I'm in the other room. I have to weigh up whether the hour or two of sleep is worth the hassle of a clear up!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Snap. My mother died 2 years ago and she lived with is during her last 5 years. She had vascular dementia. In her last year or so she was up most of the night bashing around with her zimmer and shouting for me. I worked full time then and often had no sleep at all. Since then I think my body clock has changed and even if a Bill is sleeping (I should be so lucky!) I still can't nod off!! At least I'm retired now. Not that I can stay in bed in the morning but I don't have to get out if the house at 7.15!

Must go and post on Bill's thread as it helps me look back and keep track of what's happening.

Hope you get some sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

PatsyAnne

May 15, 2012
Milton Keynes
Jim seems to have an inbuilt radar that wakes him up as soon as my head touches the pillow. As we have 24/7 care staff in the lobby of the flats I have no worries once I'm asleep if he opens the front door but like your mum used to he does tend to make a lot of noise. Usually talking to the photos on the wall.
Oh joy nearly 3am and he's asleep. My turn to try.
Nite nite all you night owls.
I wish you all peace xxxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've resorted to the spare room. I went through about 10 minutes ago and Bill was lying still - probably asleep!!! Lucky him!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

PatsyAnne

May 15, 2012
Milton Keynes
Hi Paulineanne. I hope you managed to get some sleep last night. I got to sleep at about 4am. I really don't think my husband can distinguish the difference between night and day and even the fact that its dark has no effect. In my case I just have to go with the flow and sleep when I can. In some ways its easier for me as he doesn't leave the flat now and the door alarm would alert the night staff.
Its a worry though as I need to stay well to care for him as he won't accept any help from the care staff.
I wish you love and luck.
Take care
PatsyAnne xx