Morning everyone

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
I've been trawling the AD website and the forum but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for so I hope it's OK to ask again?
Mum 91 is refusing to get out of bed. She's in the later stages of dementia, and is eating and drinking well, but she's just been lying in bed muttering non-stop for two days. She's had perhaps six hours sleep on and off.
If I try to encourage her to get up and get dressed she grips the bedsheet tightly and refuses saying she's 'terrified'. When I lift her onto the commode she is very weak....do sufferers lose the ability to walk eventually? In that case I can't cope with the lifting on my own and I'll need more help.
I don't know whether to call the GP or wait and see if it's just another glitch in Mums routine? She could be up and about again tomorrow!
u

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
It could be part of the progression but as is mentioned a lot on here it could be a Urinary Tract (water) Infection (UTI), or a hidden infection of any kind which seems to play havoc with Alz/Dementia behaviour. It'd be best to know if that's what it is :)

I think I'd be tempted to call the GP even if just to get a urine test done. Poor mum and you, sounds really scary - I hope it doesn't last long.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Lainy127

Have you contacted the GP yet? I hope you have as something sounds wrong there x

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Lainy127

Have you contacted the GP yet? I hope you have as something sounds wrong there x

Yep, I got straight onto Mums GP. He said as she had a string of tests last week that all came back as negative, and he can't find evidence of chest infection or heart trouble then we can only put it down to a sudden deterioration in Mums dementia
He quite rightly said that we can't force Mum out of bed so leave her if she is comfortable and is eating and drinking OK. He's referred us to the incontinence team and a social worker is supposed to call soon to do another assessment for more intensive nursing care.
Looks like we've just slipped another rung down the ladder :-/

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Oh Lainy 127

I am so sorry to hear about your mums deterioration. I am glad you contacted the GP because now hopefully you will get some help

Thinking of you and huge hugs x

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan