More help sorry - Lockdown caring!

scoobydoo2

Feb 23, 2019
My parents live in Wales, I'm in England. I need to reconfigure their heating system amongst other things, there is no one there who can help setting the heating system. Also a sibling is out of the county who normally does the cleaning.

Am I allowed to visit to help out?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I have caring responsibilities for somebody I do not live with – can I visit them?
You are allowed to provide care for or to help someone who needs it, such as an older person, a child or a vulnerable adult, even if they are not part of your household. You can also visit someone on compassionate grounds if necessary.

When considering whether there is a need to visit someone outside your household, especially indoors, you should remember we all have a responsibility to recognise the risks the virus presents to ourselves, our families and friends and our wider communities.

People need to make judgements for themselves about what is reasonable, in line with that overarching principle. Keep in mind that the purpose of the restrictions is to prevent the spreading of the virus, including to those we care about.

What do you mean by compassionate grounds?
You may have compassionate reasons for visiting someone in exceptional circumstances where that person is struggling with restrictions on meeting others generally or they may be suffering from a physical or mental illness, have suffered a bereavement or you may be concerned about their general wellbeing or welfare.

Visits to places such as supported accommodation, children’s homes, hospitals or care homes are permitted in exceptional circumstances, where they are allowed by the relevant setting. In each case, the service provider needs to put in place appropriate social distancing and safety measures before allowing visits, and you should contact them before travelling.

I think that gives you the exemption. Good luck and I hope it goes as well as possible in these trying times.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
We don't have the English lockdown regulations yet for the November lockdown but it is worth noting that all regulations previously have provided an exemption for care and assistance to a vulnerable person. This has to be "reasonably necessary" so visiting them to take flowers is probably not allowed but all of us on DT know that caring requires a lot more than flowers.

scoobydoo2

Feb 23, 2019
I have caring responsibilities for somebody I do not live with – can I visit them?
You are allowed to provide care for or to help someone who needs it, such as an older person, a child or a vulnerable adult, even if they are not part of your household. You can also visit someone on compassionate grounds if necessary.

When considering whether there is a need to visit someone outside your household, especially indoors, you should remember we all have a responsibility to recognise the risks the virus presents to ourselves, our families and friends and our wider communities.

People need to make judgements for themselves about what is reasonable, in line with that overarching principle. Keep in mind that the purpose of the restrictions is to prevent the spreading of the virus, including to those we care about.

What do you mean by compassionate grounds?
You may have compassionate reasons for visiting someone in exceptional circumstances where that person is struggling with restrictions on meeting others generally or they may be suffering from a physical or mental illness, have suffered a bereavement or you may be concerned about their general wellbeing or welfare.

Visits to places such as supported accommodation, children’s homes, hospitals or care homes are permitted in exceptional circumstances, where they are allowed by the relevant setting. In each case, the service provider needs to put in place appropriate social distancing and safety measures before allowing visits, and you should contact them before travelling.

I think that gives you the exemption. Good luck and I hope it goes as well as possible in these trying times.
Great many thanks for that, I might print that out when I get stopped by the police !

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
The English lockdown regulations are now published and if approved by MPs will be law on Thursday. They do not forbid you from crossing the border if you leave home for the purpose of giving necessary care. Once you are in Wales the Welsh law applies.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Surely common sense applies?

I would hope the police spend their time on illegal raves and parties rather than stopping people trying to care for their loved ones.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Surely common sense applies?

I would hope the police spend their time on illegal raves and parties rather than stopping people trying to care for their loved ones.

Most police are sensible I am sure but we have had examples before of foolish officers overstepping the law. In fairness the regulations are long and complicated and some PCs might not have a comprehensive knowledge of them. Carer responsibilities are unlikely to be a problem in my view.

Last edited by a moderator: