More delusional now than ever after starting resperidone

abz2005

Aug 11, 2016
Morning all I hope everyone is well.

Just wandered if anyone looking after a PWD found they suffered with more delusions after starting resperidone, my dad started on small dose this week but we found that last night he was more delusional the ever, talking to the walls, believing a little boy was in his room searching for money, not knowing where he was, etc. He didn't seem that upset though.

Anyway I was wandering if this is just the medication and he needs time to settle or do we stop the medication altogether as he still goes out daily and wouldn't want him to get lost or have a fall

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Rispiridone didn't stop my husband's delusions, it did stop him being so paranoid and aggressive though. In retrospect I believe it increased his dementia though that could I suppose have been due to other causes. It also made him more sleepy.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I was told when William started on risperidone that it would take a while to settle on it. It showed an immediate significant reduction in his delusions & hallucinations though. Everyone is different, but I would give it another few days, and if the increase in delusions continues, mention it to the prescribing doctor. If risperidone isn't helping him, something else might. My husband had been tried with about three different combinations before finding that risperidone & trazadone worked quite well for him.

abz2005

Aug 11, 2016
Hi

Thanks for your replies, can I ask what time of day do you give the PWD their Resperidone tablet, morning or evening? I only ask as our GP said to give my dad the tablet in the morning but I found out today my mother has been giving it him in the evening. I told her not to give him one this evening and to give him one tomorrow morning and to continue giving him the tablet in the mornings.

I'll be honest today the first time in a very very long time he's been really really pleasant.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
William was started on 1mg in the morning s. When it was increased, he got the extra in the evening.