Mophine shot last night and has slept ever since

Windfall

Oct 18, 2005
Hampshire
Hi,

This is following on from my Broken Hip post.

Went up to see mum today and am very concerned. They gave her a half dose of morphine in A&E last night to help with the pain and it sent her completely off. She hasn't really been back since. She has been asleep all day and when i went back into hospital this evening before driving home she was still sleeping. I tried but could not rouse her.

The anesthetist assessed her this evening and has pronounced her currently unfit for surgery. Her oxygen sats are down and she is having some oxygen to help with her breathing. She will be having a medical assesment in the morning.

I can't quite get my head around where this has come from. Apart from the AZ she was in good health up until her fall. I'm bewildered as to what is going on. Why is she sleeping so heavily? why are her sats falling? they can't leave her with a broken hip (the neck of the femur is broken and has compromised blood supply to the bone -they are planning a partial hip replacement asap) can they?

I really didn't want to leave her tonight. We are a 2 hour drive away from the hospital, but I couldn't keep my 10 & 8 year old there all night. Why do I feel that this is the beginning of the end?

Part of me hopes it is, part of me prays it isn't. How did we come to this.

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
sharon

dont despair
mum was waiting 6 days before her op they had to do all the tests and cause she was in so much pain they gave her morphine and bless she was in a terrible state pulling her drips out etc
but they said they would do the op whatever they just needed to work out if she was strong enough for the full anaesthetic or an epidural and gas and air in the end she had the anaesthetic but still had the morphine for two days after and the op was a complete success
mum had two falls after op because all pain had gone and she didnt remember having op xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Sharon, try not to worry too much The morphine will make your mum sleep, and will also ensure that she's immobile, which is necessary until they can operate.

Morphine also suppressed other bodily functions, so that may explain why her sats are down (though I'm not a medic).

It must have been hard for you to leave her last night, but you have to think about your children too, and the last thing you need is to have them ill as well.

I'm sure they'll operate as soon as possible, but they have to be sure that heart and lungs are functioning properly before they dare risk it.

I do hope your mum is a bit better today.

Love,

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Sharon,

A similar thing happened with my uncle even though he didn't have a broken hip, his leg was gangrenous and had to be amputated.

The morphine also affected him similar to the way you describe your mum's condition.

Skye said:
Morphine also suppressed other bodily functions,
As hazel replied, is how the Dr explained his condition to us. He rallied back around.

I hope that you see a improvement and that the operation goes really well.

Take Care Taffy.