Mood Swings

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Notice that my wife seems to be having more mood swing of late.
I can understand the ones caused by washing,dressing etc.
I have noticed lately that they often happen early mornings and do wonder whether a cause could be low blood sugar?
Just a thought
Norman

KarenC

Jun 2, 2005
Los Angeles, USA
This is not really addressing your idea, Norman, but it came to mind. Pre-dementia my mom was generally "calm, cool, and collected," what most people would consider reserved, and could be determinedly cheerful. A few months ago (after moving to the Alzheimer's home, adjusted to the place, memory drugs per se discontinued, on Seroquel to control the violent moods) it occurred to me how much that had changed. Mom was now emotional, crying at the drop of a hat. She'd cry when we came to see her, then be silly and giggling a few minutes later. The social worker confirmed the same thing -- Mom would have frequent bouts of sadness, but snap out of them quickly.

Karen

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Norman,
Please check this out with your GP, or even the District Nurse. As far as I know a simple urine test could give you the answer - either put your mind at rest or get something done about it if there is a need.
It is so hard when we have to guess at everything.
Best wishes!

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Norman

Two of my children have occasional low blood sugar problems. They get a bit agitated and light- headed, then a their skin gets clammy, but a sweetened fruit juice and biscuit or two almost always correct it very quickly.

A good tip is frequent small meals and bananas are a good standby. We found that a longish time with no food can trigger it, or occasionally it has happened after a particularly large meal.

Your GP is obviously the first step for you.

Hope this helps

Kathleen
xx