Mood Swings

Misslovely

Mar 22, 2021
My mother was diagnosed with Alzhiemer’s last year. She’s been having mood swings even since taking medication.

For example one minute she will be in tears about something and the next she will be laughing.

I’ve discussed this with her GP before and I think this is part of her illness. However, the GP wants another memory nurse to see her from a mental health team. My mother had already been seeing a memory nurse who works at the surgery.

This GP has wasted my time before when I was her patient. I’m wondering if this is going to be a waste of time and if I should speak to the GP before she makes the referral?

Any advice? Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Zonking people out with medication is not something that doctors like to do now.
The medication may not be a sedative anyway, or they may decide to not treat it.
I dont know what they will decide, but then, neither do you. Would a diagnosis of what it going on be helpful? You may go to the appointment and come away thinking "well that was a waste of time", or alternatively, you may find it helpful, I dont know. I was merely suggesting what your GPs thinking might be.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I don’t want her to be zonked out on medication though.
Not all medications have this effect, although sometimes it is trial annd error to get it right. My Mum took Mirtazipine and Quetiapine because she was extremely anxious all the time. It made a huge difference, and didn't zombify her, or prevent her attending the various groups that she enjoyed. What it did do was make her life (and mine) slightly more bearable.

Misslovely

Mar 22, 2021
Thanks for your replies. My Mother’s Carer only sees her in the mornings so if she needs additional medication it can’t be taken twice a day.