Monitoring Mum with Camera

wenhazed

Aug 11, 2012
Looks interesting. Do you recall the costs?

Kev

we were lucky, we trialed it for the SS so they could see how well it worked ,it did the job, I seem to think it was expensive, but we would have paid twice the price if we had to. My sisters quote ' from mum's house to my mouse'. Mum did not need any kind of computer stuff, no broardband or anything, the monitors were put round the house(above the doors) and somthing pluged into a socket?, and when I logged in, mums movements magicaly appeared on my computer. Your best bet is to google it and you will find out all the techy stuff, get the company to send you stuff or print it off, have some insight about it and take it to the SS and ask for funding. If they say no, ask again and again, keep asking them to put a request to the panal, it doesn't cost anything to keep asking. Nagging, often works.
Please note, anybody that enters the property must be aware of any type of monitoring system.

Last edited:

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
Could anybody tell me what search terms to use to find out how to set up a camera, PIR, with recording capability. Microphone optional. It doesn't have to be monitored from a computer at a long distance. I have looked all around the internet, the more I look the more confused I get.

I want to be able to set up a camera to see when someone crosss a space, preferably wide angle. I did purchase a camera which seemed to do that, what turned up wasn't all what we wanted, it said 'motion detect', which actually meant it filmed movement not had PIR, I don't want to make a mistake again. I had to purchase other bits as well from other companies which meant that it couldn't really get returned as the other bits did what it said on the package. The other problem is that the field of view is very narrow, the quality of the picture is superb even in low light.

As an aside, when I started to make enquiries with the camera company, I might have given them the wrong idea, the reply seemed as though they thought I wanted to make the kind of film that had nothing to do with wanting to know where a little old lady wandered off to at night. :eek::eek::eek:

The idea of plugging something without broadband sounds very interesting as well, what search term for that as well? Was the socket a phone socket or an electric socket?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Ps - no techie terminology please :confused:

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
One of the saddest sights I have seen was film footage of the father of a TV personality who lived alone, wandering around his flat, not knowing what to do with himself.

I understand the desire to keep an electronic eye on a family member with dementia, to make sure they are safe, but I would not have used it for my mother as an alternative form of supervision, nor would I want to see my husband in this state .

I hope those planning this form of surveillance are prepared for what they might see.

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
GrannieG

Let me assure you that isn't my intention, I live in the same house, unfortunately I haven't mastered staying awake 24/7 as much as my mother believes that i should. What I want is a camera to see if she wanders around when i am asleep. i am woken up circa 2 - nights minimum, I tend not to go to bed until 2 -3 as we will have several trips to the loo before then. Hopefully, if the camera has a PIR, it won't come on at all and I will debate whether I have thrown money away buying it, if she isn't wandering I will be able to sleep more soundly at night.

Mum is very active, I don't want to put too many locks on interior doors in case there is an emergency, I do feel it is prudent to see what she is up to. I want to make sure she isn't doing anything hazardous. We can't keep tabs on mum and what she does during the day, she does have her rights, but again, she tends to be lacking sense when it comes to what she does. Again, it is all about damage limitation.

The sort of people who monitor the sad and elderly for the sake of it are in another catagory, I would be deeply saddened to hear that anyone did that. I would find that a bit creepy.

wenhazed

Aug 11, 2012
GrannieG

Let me assure you that isn't my intention, I live in the same house, unfortunately I haven't mastered staying awake 24/7 as much as my mother believes that i should. What I want is a camera to see if she wanders around when i am asleep. i am woken up circa 2 - nights minimum, I tend not to go to bed until 2 -3 as we will have several trips to the loo before then. Hopefully, if the camera has a PIR, it won't come on at all and I will debate whether I have thrown money away buying it, if she isn't wandering I will be able to sleep more soundly at night.

Mum is very active, I don't want to put too many locks on interior doors in case there is an emergency, I do feel it is prudent to see what she is up to. I want to make sure she isn't doing anything hazardous. We can't keep tabs on mum and what she does during the day, she does have her rights, but again, she tends to be lacking sense when it comes to what she does. Again, it is all about damage limitation.

The sort of people who monitor the sad and elderly for the sake of it are in another catagory, I would be deeply saddened to hear that anyone did that. I would find that a bit creepy.

Have you thought about a 'sensor mat', put it next to mum's bed when she gets out and stands on it an alarm can go off in your room and hopefully wake you up!

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks both, yes, I have thought long and hard about privacy and respect and have to admit it feels yucky at first. Facts are however that I can't be there every second of every day, and this seems like a possible partial solution.

Gosh! is she still deemed as having capacity, is she still driving? I would suggest that if she is still deemed as having capacity then I would suggest getting her to sign a note that she agrees to having monitoring system (tell her it's to stop burglars or something) and hopefully that way you can get around the privacy law problem. It would only be the same thing as if you're there with her, i.e. only you + family are the ones monitoring the camera - so stupid isn't it.

kevwright

Aug 4, 2012
Suffolk
Sorry for delay in replying, had a couple of hard days :-(

Anyway, is she still deemed capable? Truthfully, I don't actually know? Who says?

I don't think she is, nor does my brother or our partners.

The council carers seem to think she is as they really upset her earlier this week by going in and giving her the Financial Declaration form (Green multi-part thing), and saying "it has to be in by next week"

Sent her into a right panic, got a call from neighbour saying she was shouting out of the window for help.

When I got there, the same Carer (new that day, only about day 6 of the care/assessment) had accidentally locked her in, something that is a bit worrying and I am about to go start a new thread about it.

As to the law/respect/privacy of all of this, I have decided I don't care anymore, and have ordered Broadband. Once this is in I can use an Android phone and an App called Cerberus to take pictures and short video clips on demand.

Oh, as for "still" driving, Mum never has :), she can barely get out of the chair these days.

Kev

annaw

Oct 22, 2012
update please!

HI - I have been wondering how you are getting on with the cerberus android app for checking how your Mum is doing.
I live some distance away from my Mum and she has recently stopped answering the phone so having a remote way of knowing she is ok would be helpful.

How are you mounting your phone and keeping it charged

Did you manage to find something that will allow you to converse over the device

Hope all is well
Many thanks
Anna :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar