Money

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
That's something we are trying to organise - until she is diagnosed it would be difficult to get either of them to do typical carer /caree stuff. However, that's another rant entirely!

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Katy, I tried to make sure my Mum always carried I.D. in her bag with details of her illness, phone numbers and medications because although she didn't go out on her own officially, she often went walkabout. Perhaps your Grandad could do this to help keep your Nan safe? Love She. XX

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
Not a bad idea - we could buy her something like an organiser or diary for Christmas with all that already in it, apart from the illness details.
Do the Alzheimer's society do diaries? I will have to have a look.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Katy, what I did was a small card, like a medic alert really, then I laminated it. At first she kept chucking it away, so in the end I stitched it well and truly into the darn handbag! Love She. XX

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
We'll have to try something like that, either a diary or an ID card for her handbag. Sheila - just a thought, your Mum doesn't carry house keys in the bag does she? I'm sure you've thought of that but just to make sure! I don't think my Grandma does any more, she went through a period of losing her key, and since she hasn't recently I'm guessing she doesn't have one any more.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Katy, yes she did, so we swapped the real for "dodgy" lookalikes that were years old etc. and fitted none of the locks should she lose or have them stolen. Worked a treat and she never twigged so it was no upset to any of us. She carried them in her bag till the day she died. Love She. XX

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Katy, I have signed Lionel up with Medi-alert. He wears his wrist band with some pride since one of my grandsons told him it looked cool.

Apart from the dreaded A.D. he also has diabeties, but it is more for his protection as all his details, and address etc, are kept on file. \no matter how many address labels I put in his pockets etc, he would throw them away.

Connie

Katy44

Sep 14, 2004
When I first read that I thought that there would be no way she would agree to having one of those! But she also has diabetes, and so we could maybe get her to wear one for that (with the letters AD on it somewhere!) with the excuse that she may need it if she goes out walking on her own again!
I'll let you know how that goes, thanks.