Money nightmares!

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
can you just email the care home about attendance allowance to save you some time and money and make sure they are claiming it for her
Apparently care homes have no responsibility in this department and can't be involved in anything to do with claiming monies on their residents' behalf.
The DWP won't send me an AA info pack or claim form as I'm outside the UK. I've asked them to send one to my Mum but will need to find somebody to fill it in with/for her.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
Apparently care homes have no responsibility in this department and can't be involved in anything to do with claiming monies on their residents' behalf.
The DWP won't send me an AA info pack or claim form as I'm outside the UK. I've asked them to send one to my Mum but will need to find somebody to fill it in with/for her.

Does your Mum have a Social Worker? When I applied for AA for my husband, a social worker came to the house and helped me fill it in, but obviously I had to tell her what my husbands needs were, and what if anything he could do for himself and to give the worst possible scenario that had occurred or could occur, as she didnt know my husband. Maybe an Age UK or AS representative could do the same for your mother, but it would need input from someone that knew her behaviour and needs. The care home may not be able to claim on her behalf, but by now they should know her needs.

I think you need advice from the SW.

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
Last edited:

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Thanks again for advice/links.

Update: Am applying for Deputyship via a solicitor who is, I hope, prepared to waive her own fees for now. The court fees I've no choice but to come up with so an overdraft beckons. Social Services have decided to play total silly ******s over everything and seem determined to make my life as difficult as possible - hence the necessity to involve a solicitor to ensure all i's dotted and t's crossed.

I contacted Age UK and they are going to deal with the AA claim - they're happy to send a volunteer to the CH and complete the form with the help of Mum's advocate. At first they weren't sure that they could visit CHs (as opposed to a person's own home) to do this but got back to me that they could.

British Telecom are threatening to pass on MY details to a debt collection agency over Mum's unpaid phone bill...with which, good luck to them...

I eventually found a contact in the first hospital that Mum was admitted to and asked them specifically if they had an inventory of Mum's possessions on admission (thanks to Selinacroft for advising on this) and, lo and behold, they miraculously "located" them! Only taken three months...

Oh and another positive is that there are airlines that accept out of date passports as valid photo ID. Who knew?!