Money mantra

Jelbem

Sep 28, 2014
Kent
The bank and its contents are a constant theme. I am at a loss for what to say. If I try to explain the statements, I know MIL does not understand and if I try to simplify things I am "treating me like a kid!" I have tried the professional route, but 'no strangers allowed'. I have tried ignoring, agreeing, changing the subject, gently trying to get to the reason for the repetition, but to no avail. After repetition 12 between 7.30 am and 12.30 pm today, I am desperate for suggestions.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
The bank and its contents are a constant theme. I am at a loss for what to say. If I try to explain the statements, I know MIL does not understand and if I try to simplify things I am "treating me like a kid!" I have tried the professional route, but 'no strangers allowed'. I have tried ignoring, agreeing, changing the subject, gently trying to get to the reason for the repetition, but to no avail. After repetition 12 between 7.30 am and 12.30 pm today, I am desperate for suggestions.

I am afraid I do not know the answer but please rest assured you are not the only person with this problem.
When my step mother was in care / hospital I was supposed to be stealing from about 12 dementia patients.
The problem was their money was at their home.
One of the nurses said certain people get picked on.

William

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Exactly same money obsession with Dad and a common problem with dementia. Dad didn't understand his statements or our explanations etc but as he couldn't make sense of the value of money and how much he had...every time and believe me it was constant...he said I have no money ...we had put some notes and coins in his wallet to take out each time to prove that he had. Seemed to work for us.

Jelbem

Sep 28, 2014
Kent
Exactly same money obsession with Dad and a common problem with dementia. Dad didn't understand his statements or our explanations etc but as he couldn't make sense of the value of money and how much he had...every time and believe me it was constant...he said I have no money ...we had put some notes and coins in his wallet to take out each time to prove that he had. Seemed to work for us.

MIL has taken the cash out of her purse and hidden it, another common thing I understand. Will try that, as I know where it is 'hidden '. I think she is going back to the weekly pension collection my late husband and I undertook.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts