money fixation update

Nick99

Apr 30, 2013
Lincolnshire
Back in April I asked for some advice on my FIL fixation with having money, but then always mislaying/hiding it. We had constant upsetting phone calls saying he had no money and he must have some, although of course he did not need any.
Our solution was to give him a bag of £1 coins rather than notes in his wallet, which he immediately lost. This was partially successful as long as he did not move it from the draw it was kept in. We still get some phone calls about money but nothing like we used to have, and we can point him to the draw. He always says "I didn't know about that", and we just ignore it as there is no point saying we have told him lots of times.

The best solution was using our POA to move all his bills to our address, even though they were only statements as everything is paid by DD. As there is nothing to prompt him about money it does not cross his mind so often. Every piece of post used to create half a dozen phone calls, which led on to questions about where did he get his money from, where is his bank account, how much is his pension, etc, etc. That has now largely disappeared.

I would say that these two changes have improved our lives no end. Thanks for everyone who made suggestions and maybe other people can try them.

janma221

Apr 23, 2013
Powys
Hi Nick, glad these things worked for you makes life a lot easier. I am waiting for POA to come through in the meantime my Mum has just been picked up by the police for walking out a shop and not paying. Fortunately they soon realised she didn't have any money or a handbag on her and obviously suffering from AD. She has money but goes out with different handbags or in this case none at all. The police are really lovely though and bring her back when she wanders.
Hope things go smoothly for you now
Jan x

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Glad those worked Nick - money can be such a headache, and a bag of pound coins will probably seem a lot, esp. to someone living in the past.

talking of which, when I visited my mother today, some of the other ladies were having their nails done. There were lots of pots of varnish on the table and I commented to one lady on what a pretty colour her newly done nails were. 'yes' she said, 'and that pot of nail varnish only cost one and six!'
(7 and a half p for anyone too young to remember!)

Bless her.