Money causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes absolutely
Do you know how much care costs?

In my area carers cost £28 an hour, more at weekends and bank holidays (OH has carers in for 1 hour a day except Sunday)
Day care costs £60 a session (Im hoping that he will go one session a week)
Charity sitting services are usually about £20 an hour (once he cannot be left for even a minute and I need to go out somewhere)
Care homes are around the £1,000 a week mark (he has already had a few weeks in a care home for respite as I had reached carer burnout)

Still thinking of chipping in?

Edit to say that reading back this sounds harsher than I mean. Im actually extremely worried about you, and even more so for your sister. I know you wanted to do the best for your mum, but this is a total dogs dinner that is likely to come back and bite you. My own personal opinion is that you have been very poorly advised by your solicitor.

Last edited:

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
You are making it sound as if she/we have purposely stole her money and thrown her onto the street.
We honestly are trying to do the best for Mum, she can't look after herself we are trying to do that for her. She is being cared for, cooked for kept safe and warm. As far as her now liquid assets go they can spent entirely on Mum at least from my side as far as I'm concerned but her wishes were for sister and I to share it while she is still around to see it.
@Steve698 Unfortunately that is what it may look like seen from the office of the public guardian in Birmingham! Your sister is als a POA I think. It was her duty to act in mum's best interests and refuse this large gift, so that mum had funds retained for future care. She could have put the new house in mum's name and paid rent to mum for living there, perhaps balanced by charging for care. As it is the new house has been gifted to sister's husband 50%. Mum may have wanted all this but she obviously didn't understand the major implications of depriving herself of funds whilst still very much alive and nowhere near meeting the grim reaper. Do get legal advice.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Steve698
it may be worth you looking at this site

Status
Not open for further replies.