Money and wandering

Redver

Jan 1, 2012
My mum was admitted to hospital after being found wandering, she stayed there for 5 weeks. During that time we realised that she may have been giving money away, or losing it. She is back home now and I am looking after her money. However, we are reluctant to leave her with any money as we know she will go out alone to the shops. She is now accusing me of taking her money. I have reassured her she doesn't need any money as I am looking after all the bills and the cost of food etc.
I don't know what to do for the best. Do I give her money and take the risk of her leaving the house alone? I know she will be reluctant to go out if she has no money in her purse. sorry if this sounds like babble, but any help or advice would be grateful.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had this with my mother and my husband Redver. Having money in purse or wallet is possibly the only bit of security left to people whose world is falling apart.

Because my mother didn`t live with me and I was working full time, I had to let her have money. Unfortunately she also had her cheque book in the early stages and goodness knows how much was conned out of her . But she ranted and raved so much I had no alternative.

My husband had money on him but he would never spend a penny. Instead he counted it constantly as it was a major source of security. He had the most dog eared notes imaginable and every so often I changed them for cleaner ones before they disintegrated.
He always put his wallet in a `safe` place and I spent hours helping him look for it.

Try to strike a happy medium if you can.

chucky

Feb 17, 2011
UK
I had the same problem with my dad and i put Monopoly money in his wallet along with a couple of five pound notes. If he went to buy anything he couldnt go over the £10 because obviously the shop knew his other money wasnt real. Added to that, he was convinced his moneny wasnt real anyway as he was back to pre decimilisation and didnt like the £10 or £20 notes, the downside was he kept ripping them up!! The monopoly money worked a treat.

Redver

Jan 1, 2012
Thanks

Thanks G G. I will try leaving her a few pounds and see how she gets on with that. I don't think there is an easy answer.

Redver

Jan 1, 2012
monopoly money

Hi again,
My brother suggested pretend money, monopoly money sounds a good idea. Although, I'm more worried about her going out with the 'money' than I am her losing it or giving it away. Besides getting lost, road safety etc, she appears to be a bit more clumsy now.
Thanks for your suggestion Ch.