Moms shower & Picking her skin Problems!!

Strong

Dec 2, 2006
Medford
I have a problem with my mom on when to shower & found out she picks her stomach until it bleeds & scabs.You see I'm 34 & a male so I know it's hard for both us to help her shower & try not to hurt her feelings when she waits to long.When she does shower she doesn't wash any of the parts a women needs to take care of.I saw blood on her lower part of her stomach & had to convince her to show me when she showed me It was awful little holes all over her bottom part of her belly.I was worried that a staff infection cou:confused: ld happen if I didn't take her to a doctor.Anyway I did & have to change bandages every 3 days until it gets better.I would like if anybody with a helpful solution for my mom to wash a better way & if other people have had the picking problems. Thankyou

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Strong,

If I were you, I`d ask Social Services to provide a carer to attend to your mother. She would also benefit from a home visit from a district nurse.

Please see you GP or contact SS for advice.

Take care xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Social services can supply 'bath nurses'. Usually two of them come together, two or three times a week, to bath or shower the patient. They would keep an eye open for any infection, and would be able to advise on treatment.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
sorry my mother has not had the
if other people have had the picking problems

picking problems, but have read of it on TP before that other has done it .

my mother also has a carer that come in to bath her 7 days a week , social worker organized it she did not like it at the beginning, someone washing her , but got use to it after a long while

is your mother now living with you full time

Last edited:

MJK

Oct 22, 2004
My Mum picks and bites at her fingers constantly. She's done this for years now and they are permanently scabby/bleeding.

It's the one little thing that I really CANNOT stand. Sorry, being utterly selfish about this one. She hasnt come to any harm from it so far, so it's not a problem for her. I can cope with lots of bigger problems with things she does (or doesn't do!) but I find it hard to be in the same room as her when she's doing this - can always hear the noise of her picking even if I don't look.

Sorry this is no help to you at all. I've heard that "picking" is quite common in AD sufferers but I haven't found any info on it.