Mom's gone

Mummysgirl

Jan 21, 2010
What a couple of weeks.
Mom fell out of bed two weeks ago and banged her head on the bedside table - we think she got her feet caught in the quilt as she was trying to get up to go the loo. She insisted on not going to hospital so dad phoned NHS Direct for advice. They also spoke to mom and she was actually quite lucid.
Apart from a cracking black eye she didn't seem too bad and wasn't really affected by it.
Then everything changed on Wednesday.
Mom and dad went to visit friends to go out for lunch. Dad noticed that mum had sort of drifted out of the conversation and "zoned out". Anyway, he managed to get her into the car and drive her home. She's done this before and usually after about an hours sleep she'd come round. Wednesday was different.
He called the paramedics and they took her to hospital.
The hospital did an MRI scan and admitted mom while they waited for the results. Dad told me to come home as they were admitting her to a ward and I wouldn't be able to stay anyway. I got a call at midnight to go back. They said she'd got bleeding on the brain and they would be transferring her to Hospital at Coventry.
Nothing could have prepared us for the shock on Thursday morning when they transferred her. The consultant showed us the MRI scan. Mom had actually got 7 bleeds on the right side of her brain. There was no possibility of surgery as mom's heart wasn't strong enough to cope. There was also no point in carrying out the surgery when it wouldn't make any significant difference to mom. So it was agreed they would make her comfortable.
Dad and I moved into the hospital - they gave mom her own room and we were allowed to visit 24 hours a day with no limit on the number of visitors.
Friday night was excellent. There was me, my dad, my brother, his wife, their daughter and my husband and we spent hours laughing and remembering silly stories from the past. Mom would've loved it.
Dad and I were woken up by mom moaning. We realised that this was the next stage. We asked the staff nurse to come in and he confirmed that mom was now getting distressed and he would arrange for medication for her. I popped out to phone my brother and husband. Just as I was putting the phone down my dad came to fetch me - she'd gone.
She'd only been in discomfort for about 10 minutes and slipped away with just my dad there. I believe she waited for me to leave the room. Typical of my mom, protecting me right to the end.
I'm sorry for writing an essay, but I have had so much support and love from everyone on TP and wanted to update you all.
At the moment I am not sure how I feel - empty is a good word I think. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My sincere condolences on your loss. This must have been such a traumatic time for you and your family. It sounds, though, as if things were very peaceful at the end and that she didn't suffer too much discomfort. Take care of yourself. xx

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Mummysgirl,

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news, but I'm glad for your mum, and all your family, that her passing was peaceful and that you had been able to be with her most of the time.

Best wishes xxx

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Hi Mummysgirl

So sorry to hear your news, sounds like your Mum was peaceful. I think she probably was protecting you to the end. My Mum was poorly for a quite some time before she died but went peacefully once my divorce was final and I'd met my wonderful Dave. She, I think, was waiting for me to be ok so that she could go.

Take care of yourself in the days to come. Will be thinking of you.

Love & Hugs

Margaret xxx

evedan

Mar 27, 2009
derby
So sorry

Just read your sad news would like to sen you and your family my deepest sympathy....your mum will be at peace now!!!!

EVE (((BIG HUGS))))XXX

Verity123

May 17, 2010
Somerset
So sorry to hear of your mum's passing and relieved she only suffered discomfort for a very short period of time. She was blessed to have her generations of family with her and her husband at the time.

My thoughts are with you and your dad. Take care of each other xx

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
I'm so sorry to read of your Mum's passing. It must be such a shock for you. I'm glad the hospital was able to provide a good environment for the whole family, and I'm sure that must have helped you all.
My thoughts are with you,
Sue x

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Mummysgirl,

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. What a terrible shock for it all to happen so quickly.

My thoughts are with you and your family xxx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm so sorry to read your news as well. What a terrible shock for you all.

There was me, my dad, my brother, his wife, their daughter and my husband and we spent hours laughing and remembering silly stories from the past. Mom would've loved it.

We did exactly the same when we spent my dad's last week with him in hospital, knowing we were nearing the end. If anyone had told me beforehand that we would be sat at my dad's deathbed helpless with laughter, singing daft songs we had sung as children, I wouldn't have believed them.

I'm glad you had this precious time with your mum.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Dear mummysgirl
Am so sorry to hear your mum has passed
Please dont be a stranger here , as I can certainly vouch for the support you get from people here afterwards, that helps through the dark times.

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
So sorry and what a shock to you all. Good to hear though that she drifted away without too much suffering.

What a very sad time for you.

Take care

Sue