1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Mom...........

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by Ostrich63, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Ostrich63

Ostrich63 New member

Jul 9, 2018
    Hello a brief outline will follow but first pleased to have found somewhere where people will have similar situations going on albeit not the same as I have discovered memory issues seem to be shapechanging as well as gamechanging; in everyones life.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi @Ostrich63 and welcome to Talking Point. I'm glad you have found the forum and look forward to reading your posts.

3. karaokePete

karaokePete Volunteer Host

Jul 23, 2017
    Male
    Cyprus
  4. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi Ostrich, welcome to TP
    This is a UK based site although we have members from all over the world but your use of the word "Mom" rather than the UK work "Mum" makes me wonder if you're in the USA?
    If you are, then the process of getting a diagnosis could be very different in the way it works.
    Usually it starts with getting the person to admit they have an issue, and that alone can be a job in itself getting someone to admit they have an issue and getting them to go to the GP is the first hurdle. It might be better if you contact the GP and tell them your concerns so they know what they're looking for but "patient confidentiality" makes than a nightmare sometimes.
    I feel it is always important to stay on side with the person, if they go into denial agree with them, I used to take my wife to the memory clinic appointment so we could prove to the doctors there was nothing the matter with her not siding with the doctors and telling her there was something very wrong with her.
    It is also important to get a check up done because memory issues can be caused by things other than AZ from vitamin and mineral deficiencies which can easily be treated, thyroid issues and all the way through to a brain tumour which need to be caught early to treat.
    So you do need to get her to the GP.
    K

5. Ostrich63

Ostrich63 New member

Jul 9, 2018
    Well Good evening all. Sorry for being so slow replying and no not in USA but a Brummie I think its a local way sure we all do Mom around here.

How have I found myself here...... sadly my Dad passed away thankfully (never thought I would say that sentence) peacfully and easily in November 2015 after a fall. Leaving Mom myself and the whole family heartbroken and shocked we thought he was invincible.

Anyhow Mom has macular degeneration which increased to registered blind 6 weeks after loosing Dad although 2 weeks previously her sight was stable 10% loss the consultant said it could be shock of loosing DAD. We (sister and I) believe Mom has alzheimer's (no diagnosis) we have made excuses for moms memory over the past 21/2 years Dad dying; sight loss; sudden death of her sister; death of her beloved older brother all between Nov 2015-Oct 2016 as well as frequent water infections since Oct 2017; in November 2017 we went to the Doctor he said not able to diagnose and come back in 6 months but we have not yet due to water infections.
    Life is generally good I have dropped to part time hours and Mom seems to have fogotten she is physically 86 her health is good but gently declining.....although she eats well and drinks well her world is just getting smaller and smaller.
    Mom lives with me and we are great friends and get along well we laugh more since the memory issues as mom is so funny........in a lovely Mom way.
    We have a rescue dog who is 3 we lost our older dog and the house was empty but "girl" is a breath of fresh air she gets me out and about and she is Moms sounding board and company during the day; she speaks to her before me I think resassuing herself as I often hear her say "DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME" to the sleeping dog. But she is also a major reason for Mom to get up in the morning and also during the day to go down the garden to take her out for a wee/potter to see the butterflies.

As I say Mom has had a few water infections since last October and one hospital admission for fluids when the water infection coincided with a flare up of the dreaded diviculitits and ulcerative colitis but we were GP referall and in and out after a hour drip bag thankfully.

Mobiliy is good just a walking stick - household tasks are becoming a distant meory as Mom is happy to do giant wordsearch or play on patience or jenga games on the computer all day now, safe in a routine and a little knitting at times. The washing up is the last routine she sticks to now; I now cook and Mom now peels the potatoes and sets the things out (albeit on occasion some strange things) but we get by which is lovely.

So all in all life is happy ie Mom is happy, safe and loved

6. Sarasa

Sarasa Registered User

Apr 13, 2018
    Hi @ostrich, welcome to Talking Point. I ahven't been here long but its and invaluable source of information and support.
    My mother too has macular degeneration and is registered as partially sighted. I often think that it certainly doesn't help if your memory is getting poorer asyou can see you can write yourselves reminders, use a calendar etc etc. If like mum you can only read with the help of a magnifier and then only very limited amounts, you have to rely on your memory far more than you would otherwise do.
    Good to hear you are bumbling along happily at present.