Mom...........

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by Ostrich63, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Ostrich63

Ostrich63 New member

Jul 9, 2018
    Hello a brief outline will follow but first pleased to have found somewhere where people will have similar situations going on albeit not the same as I have discovered memory issues seem to be shapechanging as well as gamechanging; in everyones life.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Hi @Ostrich63 and welcome to Talking Point. I'm glad you have found the forum and look forward to reading your posts.

3. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
  4. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi Ostrich, welcome to TP
    This is a UK based site although we have members from all over the world but your use of the word "Mom" rather than the UK work "Mum" makes me wonder if you're in the USA?
    If you are, then the process of getting a diagnosis could be very different in the way it works.
    Usually it starts with getting the person to admit they have an issue, and that alone can be a job in itself getting someone to admit they have an issue and getting them to go to the GP is the first hurdle. It might be better if you contact the GP and tell them your concerns so they know what they're looking for but "patient confidentiality" makes than a nightmare sometimes.
    I feel it is always important to stay on side with the person, if they go into denial agree with them, I used to take my wife to the memory clinic appointment so we could prove to the doctors there was nothing the matter with her not siding with the doctors and telling her there was something very wrong with her.
    It is also important to get a check up done because memory issues can be caused by things other than AZ from vitamin and mineral deficiencies which can easily be treated, thyroid issues and all the way through to a brain tumour which need to be caught early to treat.
    So you do need to get her to the GP.
    K