Mom with dementia not sleeping

Trudy999

Dec 28, 2015
Hi friends. I'm new to this forum and desperately need advice. My 90 yr old mom is not sleeping and therefore no one else sleeps. She also thinks this is not her home and asks to go home over and over again.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Hi friends. I'm new to this forum and desperately need advice. My 90 yr old mom is not sleeping and therefore no one else sleeps. She also thinks this is not her home and asks to go home over and over again.

Welcome to TP :)
Is she on medication?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol

Not much advice I can give on the sleeping, OH never stops sleeping other than a few trips to the loo overnight.
But, Norms suggested the other day that someone with dementia talking about their dead mother may be just missing the comfort and reassurance she gave, so maybe your mum just misses her mum and expresses it that way. I have tried to comfort OH when she talks like that, this is not the family home she was used to right enough, and it does help. Not sure if any of that helps in your case, Trudy.

cat6214

Jan 2, 2016
Central New Jersey
Many people with dementia do not sleep well

People with dementia often have a problem distinguishing between day and night. Please talk to her doctor about putting her on a tranquilizer, or about keeping her awake during the day so she sleeps more at night. My 94 year old dad often says "take me home", not realizing that my home IS his home. Don't worry about that, try to deal instead with getting Mum on a medication that helps her sleep at night.