Mom seems to be better today

Casso7662

Jan 7, 2016
Hi All, This is my first post and just finding your site. I currently care for my Mom who is 87 and has been in the begging stages of dementia for the past year. Needless to say, it has been difficult, but I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Luckily, she doesn't roam, turn on the oven, and it still continent. She has short term memory loss and constantly asks what is going on. She has appeared to have forgotten almost everything about her life outside her house and rarely talks. I haven't been able to get her involved in anything. She has just become totally introverted.
The night before last my Son called and said he was putting something together for his 'Nana' and wanted me to send pictures of her, he also asked her favorite song, which is Stardust by Nat King Cole.
Anyway, he put together the most lovely video of her life. When I showed it to her, it seemed to spark something in her memory. For the past 2 days, since she has seen it, she is talking, playing the piano again, knows birthdays that are coming up, wanting to start up quilting again, and just being the Mom I knew before all of this happened.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible for any kind of recovery from this? I'm trying not to hold out a lot of hope because I've been up and down so much this past year, but even if it ends tomorrow, I sure am grateful for what I am having now with her.

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
Hello,
Yes, I have had this with my mam, though not so dramatic.I thought that it had all been a horrible mistake! It can happen but I don't know how. My mam had periods of clarity, practical stuff didn't come back. Enjoy it while it happens I guess!

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi All, This is my first post and just finding your site. I currently care for my Mom who is 87 and has been in the begging stages of dementia for the past year. Needless to say, it has been difficult, but I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Luckily, she doesn't roam, turn on the oven, and it still continent. She has short term memory loss and constantly asks what is going on. She has appeared to have forgotten almost everything about her life outside her house and rarely talks. I haven't been able to get her involved in anything. She has just become totally introverted.
The night before last my Son called and said he was putting something together for his 'Nana' and wanted me to send pictures of her, he also asked her favorite song, which is Stardust by Nat King Cole.
Anyway, he put together the most lovely video of her life. When I showed it to her, it seemed to spark something in her memory. For the past 2 days, since she has seen it, she is talking, playing the piano again, knows birthdays that are coming up, wanting to start up quilting again, and just being the Mom I knew before all of this happened.
Has this happened to anyone else? Is it possible for any kind of recovery from this? I'm trying not to hold out a lot of hope because I've been up and down so much this past year, but even if it ends tomorrow, I sure am grateful for what I am having now with her.

Hi!

Dementia is progressive. What you are witnessing is the benefit of memory boxes..books and music.
People with a diagnosis can get depressed like the rest of us and equally have up and down days.

It's great that this is happening and will help you to identify things that may help you all in future.

There are music groups like singing for the brain..choirs ..craft groups ..activity groups that are run by the society. Such groups have such therapeutic qualities like music.
Reminiscence like the pictures will help nor just for mood but for communication later on too.

Every person is different and even if memory had faded can still feel and judge things through emotions . visual aids and music have clearly have had a positive impact!
The fact sheets are very good for information and help everything from different types of dementia to communicating. Their on the Web.

Best wishes