Mom sadly passed away 26/04/2016

sjcares

Oct 1, 2012
Stafford
Hi all,

Feeling so sad and guilty at the moment, my mom whom had Vascular Dementia/ Mixed, sadly passed away Easter, I went into auto pilot coping with being her only daughter, meeting with the hospital palliative care team, making decisions, then her good care home , couldn't meet her needs because she developed MRSA after contacting Pneumonia.

I then went to do funeral arrangement again on my own as her brothers have ill health them selves. I feel so lost now the funeral is over, I have a new job at the care home where mom used to reside as a activity coordinator, so at least my financial state has eased some what.

I feel lost now, I miss her so much, even though she didn't and couldn't hold a conversation that made sense towards the end and she stopped eating too. She is at peace now, but I feel as if my life as stopped, I have work ,a wage and shortly a nest egg left by my mom for me. I just feel so lonely, I have two sons but they have their own life's.
How do you cope with having nothing, no money, friends due to social isolation, being on the dole after being a sole carer for two years, until mom went into a lovely home, then I was lucky to start my new job, to be their with her and spend quality time after my working day.

But alas she passed only2 months after starting my job, I was struggling with in house training, I could do with a holiday but just had compassion leave of three weeks to sort funeral, now over I feel lost, love my job but want to escape and grieve if you know what I mean. I feel guilty because I feel so tired and down. I'm the lucky one, she suffered and died when I came home for a much needed sleep. God Bless her, why do I feel like I wasn't there for her at the end, The guilt is killing me, Best wishes sjcares.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Sometimes people wait until their loved ones are not with them and then slip away. I was told that by a nurse a long time ago that they see it all the time. Your Mum may have wanted to spare you being there with her. She would have known how much you loved her and that you did everything you could for her.

As time goes on the Dementia mother memories will slip to the back of you mind and your mum from 30 years ago will come to the fore. You will feel her love and it will give you strength. Take each day as it comes, sleep when you aren't at work if you can.

Loads of hugs.

Last edited:

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Guilty

Hi all,

Feeling so sad and guilty at the moment, my mom whom had Vascular Dementia/ Mixed, sadly passed away Easter, I went into auto pilot coping with being her only daughter, meeting with the hospital palliative care team, making decisions, then her good care home , couldn't meet her needs because she developed MRSA after contacting Pneumonia.

I then went to do funeral arrangement again on my own as her brothers have ill health them selves. I feel so lost now the funeral is over, I have a new job at the care home where mom used to reside as a activity coordinator, so at least my financial state has eased some what.

I feel lost now, I miss her so much, even though she didn't and couldn't hold a conversation that made sense towards the end and she stopped eating too. She is at peace now, but I feel as if my life as stopped, I have work ,a wage and shortly a nest egg left by my mom for me. I just feel so lonely, I have two sons but they have their own life's.
How do you cope with having nothing, no money, friends due to social isolation, being on the dole after being a sole carer for two years, until mom went into a lovely home, then I was lucky to start my new job, to be their with her and spend quality time after my working day.

But alas she passed only2 months after starting my job, I was struggling with in house training, I could do with a holiday but just had compassion leave of three weeks to sort funeral, now over I feel lost, love my job but want to escape and grieve if you know what I mean. I feel guilty because I feel so tired and down. I'm the lucky one, she suffered and died when I came home for a much needed sleep. God Bless her, why do I feel like I wasn't there for her at the end, The guilt is killing me, Best wishes sjcare HI NAME IS BILL, I IM THERE WITH YOU LOST MY WIFE 1 MONTH AGO FROM LEWY BODY DEM/ LOOK AFTER HER FOR 5 YEARS.LOVE HER TO BITS .BUT FEEL GUILTY FOR NOT ABLE TO STOP HER FROM DIEING SORRY IM DISLIX SO BARE WITH ME.IM NOW SUPOSE TO GET ON WITH LIFE THER ALL TELL ME. THATS NOT EASY TO DO AFTER LOOKING AFTER FOR SOME ONE FOR SO LONG .

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
If you are struggling CRUSE bereavement care are excellent.
Do ask to speak to someone. I used to work for them and they are really lovely.
Don't struggle on your own.

Steve64

Apr 26, 2016
My deepest sympathies on your sad loss. You can console yourself with the thought that she's now in a better place. A placewhere I like to believe that our loved one's are living a life free of earthly illness and disabilities. x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
My condolences to you sjcares
wise words from Onlyme
you have been so busy for your mom and been wonderful for her
take time to breathe, don't expect too much of yourself
I felt I was walking through treacle after my mum died so just put one foot in front of the other to keep going, slowly picking up the pace over months

and keep posting here if it helps

JohnBG

Apr 20, 2016
Lancashire UK
New Start

The passing of any individual is never easy, my mother father plus recently my sister have all died I take heart that they themselves would want me to have a life for myself.

Having cared for your loved one without that opportunity to say goodbye is challenging, this is now your time, all that emphasis on being a carer does isolate everyone, you need to give yourself time to find who you are again, things have moved on we do not feel part of that.

Perhaps write a wish list plus set attainable objectives as mentioned is it normal to have wanted to make the outcome better, that in itself is not within our power we or others could not do more having dedicated our time love and emphasis to the c are of a loved one.

Be kind to yourself. John.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
If you are on facebook can i suggest you join a group for activity coordinators called UKGeriActive, it is brilliant and you will get a lot of support from other activity coordinators and may even find someone in your area xxx

100 miles

Apr 16, 2015
My condolences sjcares.

You have done a wonderful thing looking after your mum for so long. Please forget about where you were at the time of death....that is irrelevant. It is all the hours, days, weeks and years you spent with her that count. No wonder you are exhausted. Anyone would be...and in all probability you will be tired for a while. It sounds normal to me. Some days will be worse than others, but conversely some days will be better than others. If we see the sun again, go out and enjoy it whenever possible.

I think it takes most people at least six months to settle into a new job. Especially when it is a totally different role. Rest when you can, try to do things you enjoy. Days will get easier and you will find a new normal.

Thinking of you