Mom now delirious and restless

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017
Mom now delirious and restless. Had a good week of being very alert and now she seems totally confused and miserable. I have given her the Haldol back per the Hospice nurse that I had weaned her off of months ago because I didn't think she needed it anymore. She did fine for 6 months up until the 18th of September when she woke up at 230 am yelling for help, clammy, shaking and talking jumbled words. It was nice while I was able to talk to her but I guess I am lucky to have had those 3 days of joy. Her nurse visited today but just told me to give her the Haldol and hope it will keep her calm. I asked if this was terminal restlessness but she didn't think so. She said the terminal restlessness is usually 3 days or so before death during active dying stage. Mom is still eating all 3 meals and has no other active dying symptoms.
Has anyone had a loved one have off and on restlessness? It comes and goes. :(

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I don't know about the restlessness but just wanted to say how pleased I am you had those three days of joy.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I must admit my mother has had periods of restlessness on and off for years, like many other symptoms. Usually they're linked to her frequent 'episodes of illness'. However they vanish as suddenly as they come.
Now my mother just lies in bed staring into space , not even 'fiddling' with her 'feelie muffs' anymore

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017
Yes that time helped me to have some closure with her. I feel a peace about her final journey to be.

I don't know about the restlessness but just wanted to say how pleased I am you had those three days of joy.[/QU

care 4 momma

Jan 28, 2017
I must admit my mother has had periods of restlessness on and off for years, like many other symptoms. Usually they're linked to her frequent 'episodes of illness'. However they vanish as suddenly as they come.
Now my mother just lies in bed staring into space , not even 'fiddling' with her 'feelie muffs' anymore

Lemonjuice, you have really gone through so much with your mom, she must be a very strong woman and you take after her in that respect. Stay strong, this is the hardest job we will ever have to do for sure. When my mother passes, I am not sure how I will spend my time, I will be so shocked to have time for myself again. I turn her every 3 hours, I will get some sleep finally. But I wouldn't change things I made the right decision in doing this for her until the end.