Mom just diagnosed

tillykate

Feb 27, 2011
My Mom has dementia and has spent all her life worrying but now seems to have switched off to all problems, she is currently living with me but in 2 weeks is moving into her own flat, I am worried, she wants to buy a chip pan! This is a woman that regularly lets eggs boil dry.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello tillykate:
Welcome to TP although I am sorry to hear about your Mother.

I understand why you are worried. I am assuming that your Mother has been seen by a Mental Health Team member or Consultant. Also I wonder if Social Services are involved.

It is important that you communicate with these services to let them know the risks (eg chip pan).

I also suggest you keep a list of problems, even if daily. Then you can present this to the Consultant or Social Worker so that they identify the difficulties.

Even if you meet resistance from your Mother it is important that you get these folk involved.

Best wishes

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Tilly Kate, welcome to TP. I think you are right to be concerned about the chip pan! Do you think your mum would be able to manage oven chips instead? Or does she have some cooking ambitions re other fried foods?
Please keep posting.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello and welcome, nice to see you. Speaking as someone who's Mum has now had two near misses with kitchen fires, I would not be happy at all if she wanted a chip pan, in fact I have hidden her deep fat fryer too. Whatever else you do, make sure that there are plenty of smoke alarms in the flat. The local Fire Brigade will give you advice where to place them for best coverage, just don't let Mum take the batteries out!! I would also make sure that someone has a spare key too, since the instances of being locked out can increase too. You live and learn with this disease that's for sure.:)

tillykate

Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for your help... you know how stubborn they can be.. she doesnt like Oven chips..she does plan to do alot of things in her mind but never gets round to doing them.. I hope the chip pan is one of those passing thoughts.

She was living in a bungalow in a different town, but is now living with me for a few weeks until she moves into a flat around the corner from us.

Social services saw her at her old address, but Mom is in denial and will not do anything they suggest. She was still driving and with their support I had to take her keys off her.... so they are not popular .. neither am I!!

I have planned to see them when she gets into her flat.. I cant see her coping at all in this flat... but she will not listen to me.

I cant believe she thinks there is nothing wrong with her, its all me.. fusing...

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
oh dear, chip pan not a good idea!

My Mom has dementia and has spent all her life worrying but now seems to have switched off to all problems

That is my mum too! She has been the biggest worrier I have ever known. Worried about what people thought too constantly but now, nothing!
She leaves the iron, cooker etc. on but luckily my dad lives there too. However, the nurse said that they are going to get her assessed by an Occupational therapist at home as things like leaving the iron on etc. can be addressed. I don't know what she means but obviously there must be something they can do to help so maybe ask for an OT assessment if she does move into her flat?

I don't think my mum is safe going shopping on her own but we can't stop her. No one tells you how to deal with these early stages and how you can stop them doing unsafe things.
would your mum not consider sheltered accommodation?

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
I think I would be inclined to say that chip pans are no longer available, but then might she just fill a saucepan? You are quite right to be worried. I do hope she can be discouraged from having one. Would she accept prepared meals that just need heating?

Has she had an assessment by SS at all.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=131

My very best wishes to you all. This is such a worrying time.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan