Mom has fall Now what?

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
When Mom,s carer came this morning to get her ready for Day Centre she found her on the floor where she had been all night after her friend dropped her off as she was in the same clothes and her purse was by her side. The front door was wide open all night and it seems she was trying to get to the loo when something happened. (she has heart problems and vascular dementia) That was at 4.30pm on Sunday until this morning at 8.00am . Many many hours on the floor semi conscious not responding to the phone. She must have been unconscious for a time but has no memory of anything. I am in Canada and have been on the phone all day trying to piece these things together. She is to stay in the hospital at least 48 hrs but my concern is how will they proceed to discharge her. Her social worker I will speak to tomorrow. This gives me the window to tell Mom about really thinking about leaving the bungalow for residential home but when they discharge her what obligations does her social worker have as she is so vunerable? Or will they discharge her and it will go on as before with the same care package and recommendations? How do NHS see a significant event like this? I have not spoken to a doctor but they have her on a heart monitor on the ward and the nurse says she is confused but fine sitting up and eating and talking to nurses. Sooty

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sooty, you must be so worried. It does sound as if your mum needs more supervision now.

The social worker should be able to represent your mum's interests with the hospital. There should be a complete assessment before she is discharged, and a better care package could be proposed, or they may suggest that she needs 24 hour care.

Tell the SW what you are thinking, and see what she thinks. She will (hopefully) know whether your mum will be able to manage with more supervision. But if she is falling and spending the night on the floor, it may be that you should be considering a NH.

I'm so sorry, I can only imagine how hard it is to cope with this from so far away. Let us know how you get on.

Love,

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Sotty,

very distressing and I agree chat with the social worker.

Just a thought, but some councils in the UK offer an alarm system. It simply allows people to wear an alarm (e.g. around the neck or as a bracelet) and when the button is pressed calls three allocated numbers (family neighbours etc), if these numbers do not respond then they call in the police. Some systems have a monitor in the home which can pick up a voice and allow them to assess the situation via phone.

Not sure how it would suit your mother, but it may be something worth thinking about.

Without knowing more about the situation it is difficult to advise, but it does sound like some form of sheltered accommodation (or warden assisted) may be suitable. The social worker has an obligation to make sure you mother is safe unless someone takes full responsibility otherwise.

Good luck and shout if you have more questions
kindest regards
Craig

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Thank you Skye. You have given me relief to think that they will not let her out until an assessment is done. This is just what she needs as they will see how unsteady her gait is too, and how bad she is finding it to out of a chair and walk. It will take some of the responsiblity from me too, as I can say this is what the doctors and S/W advises not just me. She is still going on now and agin about me selling the car. I am waiting by the hour to see when I should go over to Uk to be the best possible help and start the process. She could be in some days then is what you are telling me. Sooty

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
CraigC said:
Hi Sotty,

Just a thought, but some councils in the UK offer an alarm system. It simply allows people to wear an alarm (e.g. around the neck or as a bracelet) and when the button is pressed calls three allocated numbers (family neighbours etc), if these numbers do not respond then they call in the police. Some systems have a monitor in the home which can pick up a voice and allow them to assess the situation via phone.

She has had the safe and sound bracelet for two years but won't wear it and has now forgotten about it although it is still active. I spoke to her home safety officier about it today and she thinks its a waste of money know as she will not use it and did not help at all. In fact we do not know where she has put it right now.

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Sooty.In my experience (as a carer in a home),the pendant system seems to work well.but we are actually on site when it is activated.How it works outside i am not sure.The ones i am used to are activated on a fall or if the resident feels distressed.it may be no help but each home/secure place works differently.love elaine

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
These alarm systems are great for people who can use them, or are prepared to use them. The trouble is, people with dementia tend to forget them, or forget what they are for. On the other hand, my mum, who didn't have dementia, wouldn't use hers because she 'didn't want to be a nuisance!'

Sooty, when you speak to the SW, stress how worried you are about your mum, and that there must be a complete assessment before she is discharged. The hospital may try to discharge her when she is stabilised, and that's not good enough. The SW should demand a multi-disciplinary assessment for you.

Love,

sooty

Feb 17, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks Skye I will use those words you wrote in an email I am sending the S/W now to back up my telephone call toher about a multidisipline assessment. Sooty