Moderate Alcohol intake in dementia – Any experience?

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Has anyone had any experience with the use of moderate amounts of alcohol in dementia?

My mother died of dementia some years ago and since then I have contemplated what could be done differently and if I was willing to try options.

Through this forum, I have thought deeply about the issues and since my main interest is in improving the mental function in dementia, and it has triggered a number of relevant thoughts.

Let me expand:
There are only 3 sources of energy for the brain
  • 1. Glucose – Which the body has an abundant resource and brain uses 70% through this
  • 2. Ketone bodies – The liver produces when we fast
  • 3. Glutamate – A Neurotransmitter as well as a source of energy for the brain.

The research shows that the dementia brain has poor utilization of glucose according to PET scans and it is not clear why. This means that the brain must depend on fat breakdown and muscle to give ketones and Glutamine.

Now with alcohol – The liver converts it to Acetate which can go directly to the brain and be broken down to energy.

This is not intoxication, just small amounts of alcohol regularly to allow the liver to produce ketones for the brain.

Purely theoretical, but wondered if anyone has seen small improvements with alcohol?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Actually my mother did seem to improve in a communication sense after a small amount of alcohol. But I have to say I put that down to the partial removal of inhibitions: alcohol basically served to loosen her tongue, just as it can when you are well. She was aware that her memory was impaired so would tend to be quiet normally.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sadly.... define moderate? What is minimal in one person can be catastrophic in someone else, and I suspect that any beneficial results might only last as long as the appropriate chemicals remain in the bloodstream.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband lost interest in alcohol several years ago. He was never a big drinker but liked a few pints. Now I give him a small sherry or port if he wants to feel part of the company but he often leaves it.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
What we used to do with father, so he could feel he was joining in, was to give what the Swiss call Cholly. It is a mix of fizzy apple juice and fizzy water - looks like champagne.

Father liked his alcohol but it all had to be stopped when he was starting at 10.00 am each morning.

The Cholly went down well as we always insisted he had it in a champagne glass. Just so he could feel he was joining in. Always asked how it was going and he seemed to enjoy it.

The reason for stopping alcohol was father was unsteady on his feet. Alcohol made it worse and had he fallen there was not a snowball's chance of getting him up off the floor.

Last edited:

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
Thank you for the input.

Moderate alcohol input in this circumstance would be just enough to not have any effects on the brain.

In principle what would be needed is small amounts of alcohol frequently. You do not want the alcohol to get past the liver as it will then have direct effects on the brain.

A cocktail may be ideal with say half a unit in some form of juice.

Tolerance is very variable and so specifying an amount would be too broad.

My belief is that if we can understand the biochemistry of the disease it allows us to become a researcher of sorts.

Imagine if we could find a way to improve function that is also enjoyable!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951