Mobility

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
Are there any other members who have a partner / family member with severe mobility problems.
I would be interested to know how you cope with daily routine.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Are there any other members who have a partner / family member with severe mobility problems.
I would be interested to know how you cope with daily routine.

My husband has almost no mobility, is either bedbound or chairbound. This is not dementia related, it's coexisting problems. Over the years I've had to adapt to every stage of decreasing mobility but now I have carers, a ceiling hoist, almost every aid possible, apart from a wheelchair which he refused point blank ever to use. I have carers twice a day and the rest I do myself. It's hard but he is content and now accepts everything, apart from the wheelchair issue.
I've found its a question of getting to know what you need and chasing it.

Del24

Aug 17, 2014
Hertfordshire
I cannot believe there aren't any other carers in the same position as I am.
My wife has mixed dementia and restricted mobility that's apart from the diabetes etc.
We have 2 wheelchairs a mobile shower chair riser toilet seat, hospital bed, riser armchair a turntable and I have a corset for my back.
My wife can just manage to walk to wc with help but she has trouble with her balance but when tired we use a wheelchair.
We go out every day in the wheelchair.
Most of the equipment we purchased ourselves.
Th OT said the next step is a mobile hoist the only problem is our flat is not very large.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
My MIL lost mobility and could just about walk a few feet when she went from hospital to a nursing home. Her loss of mobility was the reason we couldn't manage at home any more.