Mobility

PennyH

Jun 11, 2004
I'd really welcome some advice from those of you with more knowledge of Alzheimers than me. My stepmother, who has advanced dementia, was rushed into hospital (well, perhaps not 'rushed' as it took the ambulance 4 hours to arrive....) with a suspected stroke.

She lives alone with my dad, aged 88, who is her sole carer, and one morning got out of bed and seemed totally unable to walk and just colapsed onto the floor and was unable to get up or stand. She has been increasingly nervous of walking; shuffling and worrying about falling; but mobile and able to walk up and downstairs and out to the car.

On arrival at hospital it was decided she has not had a stroke, nor does she have an infection - apart from being somewhat dehydrated - and there seems no physical reason why she cannot walk.

The hospital is going to give her physiotherapy to try and get her confidence back but they are obviously not going to want her in hospital for longa s they'll want the bed back - and dad can't have her home if she can't walk, however good a care package is put together.

My worries are these - does this sound 'normal' progression of Alzheimers to list members? What is the likelihood of her getting her mobility back? Does this sound to you that I should be urgently looking at care home options?

Thanks Penny

sarahc

Apr 4, 2004
anaemia

Maybe they should check out whether she is anaemic or not, My father had myelodyplastic syndrome which meant he became very anaemic ( apparenty v common in old people). This greatly affected his mobility - when his haemoglobin was low he shuffled around and had to hang on to bits of furniture to get around the room. However after regular transfusions he made great improvements - he finally passed away last June but that was due to his heart packing up.
Hope she improves,
Sarah x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Penny, You are not alone. My Lionel[age 64] has severve mobility problems........No answers, xcept ask as many questions are necessary to alleviate your worries......We are the 'front line troops' so the more points we put across. the more answers they have to come up with. Love, Con.xxdd

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Penny,

I'd also suspect anaemia as the first symtom to have checked out. Also any new drugs that have been prescribed over the last fortnight, which may be having an adverse effect.

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Penny
my wife has mobility problems.
She has been checked by our(good) doctor,he found nothing physically wrong.
She hangs on walls,cars.furniture anything available,such as me!!
If she is in an open space she will cry out "hold me" in a panic.
I think it is all AD
Norman

Robert

Feb 25, 2005
PennyH said:
I'd really welcome some advice from those of you with more knowledge of Alzheimers than me. My stepmother, who has advanced dementia, was rushed into hospital (well, perhaps not 'rushed' as it took the ambulance 4 hours to arrive....) with a suspected stroke.

She lives alone with my dad, aged 88, who is her sole carer, and one morning got out of bed and seemed totally unable to walk and just colapsed onto the floor and was unable to get up or stand. She has been increasingly nervous of walking; shuffling and worrying about falling; but mobile and able to walk up and downstairs and out to the car.

On arrival at hospital it was decided she has not had a stroke, nor does she have an infection - apart from being somewhat dehydrated - and there seems no physical reason why she cannot walk.

The hospital is going to give her physiotherapy to try and get her confidence back but they are obviously not going to want her in hospital for longa s they'll want the bed back - and dad can't have her home if she can't walk, however good a care package is put together.

My worries are these - does this sound 'normal' progression of Alzheimers to list members? What is the likelihood of her getting her mobility back? Does this sound to you that I should be urgently looking at care home options?

Thanks Penny

Hello Penny,

I have read your post several times, uncertain whether to respond or not.

However since my wife exhibits similar symptoms to your stepmother's i.e. can not stand up or walk and there appears to be no physical reason, you might like to look at my recent post headed 'Lewy Bodies symptom'. I am endeavouring to establish if my wife's dementia is in fact Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB), since it appears from what I have read, that problems with standing up and walking are symptomatic of DLB. There are other symptoms of course, including visual halucinations, movement difficulties, stiffness and possible limb tremours etc.

My uncertainty in replying was due to the fact that although I am pretty well convinced that my wife does have DLB, it has yet to be confirmed by a consultant.

Robert.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Saw Lionel's consultant today, at an informal session organised through local AS and Carers Support.

Mention was made of Lewy Body dementia, and whilst he says that visual hallucinations are usually present, he has conceded that Lionel fits all the other criteria.

As the results of Lionel's latest round of tests are due any day he has promised to look into this for me. Mobility is one of our biggest problems, with stiffness and spacial awareness not helping either.

I learn a great deal from reading all your postings. Connie

PennyH

Jun 11, 2004
Thanks for all your responses - I've found them very helpful.

The good news is that she seems to be getting some mobility back, and there is talk of her returning home soon. With a much improved care package ... which is a big relief.

Penny

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aliso