Mobility, rapid decline

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
So today OH couldn’t get out of bed. After a huge struggle I got him up and clutching his Zimmer frame. His feet just wouldn’t leave the ground, we couldn’t get anywhere. I put a chair behind him and he sat, collapsing forward, almost falling off the chair.
How do you wash and change someone who cant stand or lift their feet?
I rang OT, they were amazing and arrived 2 hours later, concerned that I don’t have help to look after OH they felt the best course of action was to put him back into bed, this was around 4.00pm. He is still there fast asleep not having eaten or drank anything of consequence. They will arrange for a nurse and another therapist to visit in the morning and they will probably arrange a GP assessment.
Where we go from here I have no idea

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Vic10.

I have to admit that I fear my wife losing her mobility as that does change things.

My only advice would be that when you talk to the OT etc that you stress that you can't deal with this situation so must have help. If people think you can manage they may leave you to it.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I am sorry to mention the ‘old chestnut’ but could it be a UTI ?

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @Vic10.

I have to admit that I fear my wife losing her mobility as that does change things.

My only advice would be that when you talk to the OT etc that you stress that you can't deal with this situation so must have help. If people think you can manage they may leave you to it.
The truth is, for the moment, if I can I really want to be able to manage. I appreciate I may not be able to and everybody is advising me that I need help. I shall see what tomorrow brings!

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
I am sorry to mention the ‘old chestnut’ but could it be a UTI ?
I don’t know, hopefully the nurse who will visit tomorrow will look into that. But thank you, I will mention it if she doesn’t

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I don’t know, hopefully the nurse who will visit tomorrow will look into that. But thank you, I will mention it if she doesn’t
Depending on the outcome, would a short stay in the local rehab unit and a big dose of antibiotics! Sort things and send home a ‘new man’ ?

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
It could be something as simple as dehydration. The same thing happened to my Mum a while back and I gave her a big drink of water and she recovered. ..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was thinking a UTI too. OH totally lost mobility suddenly and could not weightbear at all. he ended up in A&E where they found a UTI, even though he didnt seem to have any other symptoms of one. After IV antibiotics that cleared the infection he regained his mobility again.

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @Vic10.

Well, having said last night that I wanted to continue to manage on my own, your kind words kept returning to me and I have thought long and hard overnight. Perhaps this is a turning point. I now plan to see what is available when the professionals arrive today. Thank you for your advise I will let you know what happens.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Just a thought!
I would expect the professionals to be wanting a urine sample.
should he urinate in a jug, or something like that and you get a chance to save a sample it might be a good start?

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
So, I have to say great care from doctors and district nurse today.
They believe I will need help so that is in the process of being organised with social services.
Doctor thinks OH may also have Parkinson’s Disease along with the Alzheimer’s.
Medication change and lots of blood tests and next week we will get an electric bed to enable him to get up more easily.
Wow! Feel a bit overwhelmed, will wait and see what the new normal looks like!
OH having a nap! He slept from 4.00pm yesterday to 12.00 pm today, but still sleepy!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I'm glad that went well and that you will be getting help. When dealing with dementia, needing help isn't a sign of weakness. I consider myself to be a strong person but I reached out for help when I felt I needed it.

I hope things get a bit better for both of you.:)

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
So, I have to say great care from doctors and district nurse today.
They believe I will need help so that is in the process of being organised with social services.
Doctor thinks OH may also have Parkinson’s Disease along with the Alzheimer’s.
Medication change and lots of blood tests and next week we will get an electric bed to enable him to get up more easily.
Wow! Feel a bit overwhelmed, will wait and see what the new normal looks like!
OH having a nap! He slept from 4.00pm yesterday to 12.00 pm today, but still sleepy!
So pleased to hear you are getting some help.
wishing you well.