mobility problems

patchworkamber

Jan 6, 2014
south east wales
My OHs mobility is diminishing rapidly since his second stroke a few weeks ago. We have a stair lift and hand rails etc and he uses a zimmer now to get him from armchair to stairlift. We have an old house with a 'second' landing so there are still three steps to the bathroom and five to our bedroom. It's getting harder to literally help push him up those five stairs at bedtime because of course he is tired (8pm). I am going to try him tonight in our front room which has a single bed - Brought downstairs earlier in the year for when he came home from hospital.
Does anyone have experience of coping with such dilemas? We also don't have a downstairs toilet so would need to use the commode and wash in the sink if the time comes when he can't manage any stairs. This is also a problem getting to the car, three steps down and then two steps up to go down the path to the car.... If I can't get him out of the house, well its just too awful to contemplate at the moment.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Do you have a big cupboard or other space downstairs which could be converted into a toilet/shower room? Plumbers are quite clever nowadays with the use of macerators etc at creating such conveniences.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
My OHs mobility is diminishing rapidly since his second stroke a few weeks ago. We have a stair lift and hand rails etc and he uses a zimmer now to get him from armchair to stairlift. We have an old house with a 'second' landing so there are still three steps to the bathroom and five to our bedroom. It's getting harder to literally help push him up those five stairs at bedtime because of course he is tired (8pm). I am going to try him tonight in our front room which has a single bed - Brought downstairs earlier in the year for when he came home from hospital.
Does anyone have experience of coping with such dilemas? We also don't have a downstairs toilet so would need to use the commode and wash in the sink if the time comes when he can't manage any stairs. This is also a problem getting to the car, three steps down and then two steps up to go down the path to the car.... If I can't get him out of the house, well its just too awful to contemplate at the moment.

Hi,
Have you thought of having some ramps made for steps outside and if it's possible inside too?