Mobility problems

dancingmum

Sep 29, 2009
West Midlands
Dad is 91 and his mobility has deteriorated dramatically Mum refused to have downstairs facilities but they have a stairlift and walk in bath Am today purchasing a screen and commode for downstairs but should I still be encouraging dad to walk (assisted obviously) he is very nervous. I live in an adjoined extension so am close at hand

Lady in blue

Mar 6, 2015
Sheffield
It's very hard because I guess you are torn between maintaining his mobility and keeping him safe.
The problem is, I guess, that by not allowing him to mobilise due to worries about his safety may eventually cause him to be totally immobile which brings it's own problems.
Has his mobility been assessed by a physiotherapist ? They may be able to suggest ways to maintain his safety and help you to relax a little.
All the best.

philamillan

Feb 26, 2015
My assumption is that he has poor mobility in association with dementia. I completely agree that a mobility assessment would be beneficial but at the same time it is unlikely that he will suddenly improve dramatically.

The risk of falls is quite high in his circumstance because of weakness and poor judgement because he does not properly appreciate risk when attempting to walk. It is much worse if he should break a bone at this stage.

The most important ability to retain is being able to transfer from bed to chair as it determines his longer term care needs. Just helping him to stand upright for reasonable periods may be safer and still maintain some of his tonal strength.

I hope he will be ok but certainly seek further help.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
In time the stair lift will become high risk for him so you need to plan the next but one problem. Keep him mobile as much as you safely can. With Mum some days were better than others so we just went with the flow.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
In time the stair lift will become high risk for him so you need to plan the next but one problem. Keep him mobile as much as you safely can. With Mum some days were better than others so we just went with the flow.

we were nit offered a stair lift because mother in law has vascular dementia as it in our home I don't understand why so they fitted stairs rails which we had to replace as they were so poor quality and fitting was even worse .we replace within 2 days. don't understand why we cannit have stair lift OT said was because she has dementia

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Lots of people with dementia cant work out what a stair lift is for and carry on trying to use the stairs, so it often doesnt work long-term. I wonder if that was the reasoning behind the OTs assessment.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
would make no difference as I go up and down stairs with her 90% of the time . not a good week she gone back to bed as feels tierd she looks so tied and is weeping and more confused , has uti but antibiotics should of cleared that she seems in a world of her own not sure hat to do I been siting next to her in her room for 3 hrs had to come out for a break

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
We had an extra handrail fitted along the stairway and it was beneficial for a few months as my wife most often would hold the rail while I held her other hand in supporting her up and down stairs. Later, it became necessary for me to support her holding both hands whilst I walked backward up the stairs - most unsafe so something had to be done. We have now had a stair lift installed and what a difference - very safe and much reduced effort (ask my back what it used to be like) for both of us. I have to support her in all walking (shuffling), and into and out of the seat of the stair lift but the relief for me in knowing we can get up and down the stairs safely and with much reduced effort and anxiety is fantastic. They come with remote controllers, in addition to onboard seat switch, and I use a remote and lead or follow the unit at all times. As we all know, handrails are much less costly than stairlifts and with tight and ever squeezed budgets in councils it is to be expected the less costly option will be proposed, although the emphasis should be on safety and the wellbeing of both cared for and carer. Stair lifts for straight stairs are between £1000 to £1500. I understand there are grants upto a £1000 for home modifications to improve mobility etc around the home but from what I read recently it could take 3 to 6 months for approval, so not much help in the short term. I hope our experience might help you in doing/getting what is best for both of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorfolkRambler