Mobility Forward Planning

Chris M.

Jan 14, 2021
My beloved and stoic wife has just been diagnosed with Vascular dementia.
We live in first floor maisonette with narrow stairs that could probably just fit a stair lift.
Our kids are urging us to get out to more accessible place BUT:
1. We really only have the money that is in the flat which is owned and about 20k so we can't just buy our way out of the situation
2. The neighbourhood is very precious to us and a move would be heartbreaking from that point of view
I realise that every case is different but is there anybody out there who is coping with this sort of physical structure.
Is it feasible do you think?

angelict

Jan 16, 2020
You need to get an assessment done even if your property is private go to Adult Social Care or your local authority and explain the situation they may well come out to your property and see how your wife manages plus ask you to do a financial assessment if they deem she needs a stair lift they may meet some of the cost

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
@Chris M. Are you/your kids thinking too far ahead again? Does your wife have any problem with the stairs at the moment? It could be that any move could prove too stressful. I would advise that you give yourselves time to adjust to the diagnosis before making any decisions with regard to moving.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has vascular dementia and he is fine to walk upstairs. the council put in a second banister rail which steadies him and grip on when coming down. do you have stairs outside the flat as you say its first floor? if its not a problem at the moment there is no reason to do anything and only when and if it becomes apparent, that you need to think about it. there might be other ways of getting round it. just live for the day and sort the future when you get to it. everyone is different and so are their journeys

Chris M.

Jan 14, 2021
Thanks guys for the insight and reason. So very helpful..
What else can I really say.