Mobility allowance and care homes

Greensleeves

Mar 30, 2011
Mid Wales
I thought I would post this, as there have been several queries regarding mobility allowance and it seems that everyone you ask gives a different answer.

My husband has been in a CH for a year now, and for the past six months I have been in 'discussion' with DLA about whether or not his mobility allowance should be repaid. The day before yesterday I had a phone call from DLA to tell me that they cannot reclaim mobility allowance when it has been traded in for a leased vehicle, and consequently they cannot ask for repayment of the MA. Had my husband not traded in his MA for a vehicle leased through Motability, they would have reclaimed it, but under the circumstances, they cannot. They said that the care element is repayable from one month after the person's hospitalisation, but in this circumstance, not the MA. The lady I spoke to phoned again yesterday and confirmed this. This is a considerable relief to me, and I thought there might be others in a similar situation who might find this information useful.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted on other threads with advice regarding this particular problem I have been struggling with. At least that is one thing less I have to worry about now!

Regards,
GS