Mobile Phones, Pylons and Dementia

JohnOHanlon

Jan 7, 2007
Liverpool
It would seem that if we were to do a graph with the increase in Altzeimer's over the past 5 years and a graph with the increase in 'electrosmog' (dirty EMF's from sources such as mobile phone transmitters) the increase in mobile phones would run parallel! as much as the huge increase in Altzheimer's/Denmentia we are seeing these days. I have done quite a bit of research into EMF's (electro magnetic field's) recently and the facts remain that we are subject to 1000's of times more EMF's than our grandparents. The worst offenders are Digital cordless telephones (DECT phones) mobile phones/masts and electric substations/pylons. Some believe that the strong frequencies from these items interfere with our body's own electrical fields and in the case of the very young and the elderly have detromental effects. These things take years to surface, however, but I was wondering if anyone who has recently had one of their loved ones diagnosed with dementia had had a phone mast installed near their home or had been using a cordless phone (DECT phone) in the past 2 years. The government have a website specifically to state where the phone mast's are and it is www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk and apparantly if you live within 100 metres of a mast and it is sending it's signal in your direction there could be a problem. To find out where the 'point of maximum intensity' (where the strongest point of the signal lands) is you will need to write to the telecom firm. I would be interested in anyone who is concerned about illnesses near a phone mast. Feel free to email me on
Kind Regards,
John O'Hanlon;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
hello john

welcome to TP. this is an interesting issue which i'm sure is worth more research and understanding. i've moved your email address though, because it's TP policy not to post email addresses on a public forum. people will still be able to contact you using the private messaging system if they wish to discuss this privately, and of course be able to discuss this on the thread.

best wishes

Áine

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi John

In my youth I worked on high powered radars and worked around high voltages all my life and as far as I am aware I have not suffered any ill effects.

Beware of statistical corelations - I remember that a colleague of mine proved that every time we had failure or a particular airbourne radar it was raining in Yarmouth even when the failure happened over the Lybian desert!

Dick

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Strange isn`t it. Evevryone wants a mobile phone, but no-one wants to live near a mast.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello:
Your post is interesting. My husband has been suffering for some 6/8 yrs at least and we have neighbours within 1/2 mile radius suffering similarly.
We have just had news re mast for mobile phone within one mile of us (we have opposed planning for all the normal reasons - eg. eyesore and possible problems for children) - but in no way can we blame that for our'dementia' problems. I just wish it was that easy to identify!!!

Thanks for your posting. Beckyjan

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
This is totally my own viewpoint...

Dementia has been known for a very long time, long before the advent of radio masts (or even radio). I think that the apparent increase in the number of cases is down to two things - first because people are living much longer (I am aware that dementia is not just an "old person's" disease, but it is more common in the elderly, and twenty years ago my Dad would have died from other causes long before his AD became evident) and also because of an increased perception, combined with so many more people living away from their families. I am convinced that many dementia sufferers in the past would have been cared for by their families and their symptoms dismissed as "old age", never being reported to health services.

If the link was so clear, I do believe that it would have become more obvious by now - for example, people who work with this sort of thing would have a higher incidence and so on.

I have checked and we are rather more than 100m from the nearest mast.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm with Nebiroth on this. Improved health care, particularly health maintenance for chronic conditions such as hypertension, mean that people are living longer and not dieing of things that they would have died of 50 years ago. If you want to play the statistical game, you can always find figures to support a position. "lies, damn lies and statistics" (Mark Twain. I believe).

While considering whether something might have contributed to an increase in any disease is a worthwhile subject for research, I am not certain what is achieved by posting on a board such as this. Most of us are trying to simply deal with the consequences of the varied conditions which cause dementia, although I recognise that there is both a desire to find a reason for something that seems unfathomable, while those with afflicted parents are concerned that it may affect them.

Unfortunately, environmental factors are the most difficult to pin down, simply because they are environmental and so is everything else. Yes there's been an increase in radio masts, but equally there are more planes flying, more cars driving, more TVs, more antibiotics being used, more of a lot of things both "good" and "bad".

Jennifer

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I agree with Jennifer and Nebiroth, though I'm open to persuasion!

My wife - an 'outlier' statistically as she is an early onset patient - started symptoms before the fast expansion of these communications technologies.

Certainly the person upon whom the first diagnosis of Alzheimer's was made - way back around 1905 - had no exposure to these things. In those days, had there been as many people seeking reasons as there are today, perhaps gas lighting exposure, or effluent from coal fires might have been blamed. Or the advance of use of rail transport. Or :eek: perhaps that new thing that was taking hold... electricity.

We must all keep open minds about possible causes as the experts certainly have no idea, but I think it is a mistake to highlight too greatly any 'cause' which is not proven in some way.

All just my views!

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Mobile Phones Pylons and Dementia

Hello JohnOHanlon,

That sounds very interesting.

Before I was diagnosed, the establishment I worked for had mobile telephone masts on top of one building, but we also had a radio telephone system which worked seperately within a 2 mile radious of the College, and was used by the staff.
I am now wondering if both of these could have caused myself and many others problems. I had looked into this before I was given early retirement through ill health, but never got very far. It was always denied that there was a problem. Even the government departments got cold shoulders when asked, and bearing in mind I was an engineer, I had to check things out for safety.
I now wonder whether the government departments were openly hiding information.
Sadly I can no longer follow these things up, but would be interested in the outcome.

When these masts were first installed, the people responsible hand hand held monitors, which had to be carried when they were near to the masts, but no one would explain why this was.

Best Wishes

kenc

Helena

May 24, 2006
Genetic susceptibility + environmental toxins are a far more likely cause

An autopsy on a Camelford woman early in 2006 was actually pretty conclusive on the link of Aluminium and Alzheimers and certainly as I understand it the level of Alzheimers in the Camelford area has risen dramatically following the Camelford Disaster some 20 years ago

I still subscribe to the " we are what we eat " theory

eat junk food or cook everything in non stick (flouride) coated pans or foil or Aluminium and you store up a huge health problem in many forms

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I did wonder if an autopsy would show that it was flea poison that made my mother ill and Aricept that killed her. But no-one else wanted to know.

Lila

Helena

May 24, 2006
Lila

Thats precisly the problem

When an Alzheimers patient dies they dont want to know and will not do an autopsy because they dont care what causes the disease

Sadly I suspect that if the Aluminium industry or pesticide or any other industry gets the blame big money will just wade in and arrange a cover up

Medicine and research are not altruistiic professions

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I do remember my mother throwing all her saucepans away when we first heard about aluminium causing dementia, a long time ago. But I don't know what the more modern saucepans cause.

Lila

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
I can only reiterate my previous scepticism over radiological causes of AD. Radiological monitoring has been carried out on individuals, myself included, since the early 1960s to my knowledge and no problems have been highlighted. I do not believe that a conspiricy of silence can be sustained for 46 years and so conclude that there is no evidence to support the contention that electromagnetic radiation causes any health problems.

Dick

JohnOHanlon

Jan 7, 2007
Liverpool
How can we be certain

Thanks everyone for replying to my post. Firstly, I would like to make the point that the reason for my comments were to help both persons suffering with any neurological disorders as well as their family and friends. Yes, Dick, I take your point that there have been strong radio signals around for many years now (you mention radar) but there is conclusive proof that radar is dangerous-many of the operators of radar have come down with cataract problems for instance. It should also be borne in mind that radar works directionally and we are only being subject to radar beams for a split second every minute or so. (I am referring to the radar which is based near Blackpool-many of you from the northwest will remember in the early days of the VHS recorder ther being the necessity to tune it to a different frequency as it picks up the blip.) The problems with the latest form of radio waves which are known as microwaves is the saturation of the signals-particurlarly the nearer the source. They are sending out their signals more often than not omnidirectionally 24/7. I used to live within 100 metres of one of these masts (my postcode was PR9 9XL; the govt. website to check is www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk) and both my wife and myself were showing the early symptoms of dementia. It was only when our baby became ill that we decided to move-now all is well. It is worth noting also that the latest 'land line' cordless phones (DECT phones) which everyone is getting these days have their own 'mast' transmitter which again is on 24/7 (it has to communicate with the handset even when the handset is not in use) and I believe is the cause of many illnesses. The way it makes us ill is as follows: The 'pulsed' microwave signals interfere with our deep sleep brain waves-that is the time when we have dreams and experience REM. As a consequence we wake up in the middle of the night and are deprived of the refreshing sleep which is necessary for our bodies to cleanse themselves. Naturally, over a perion of time cells and DNA in our bodies is not repaired/replaced and we get run down.
Now if you think I am talking a load of bunkem I would suggest you type in DECT phone dangers in any search engine and check out peoples personal experiences (experiences without prejudice).
Secondly, next time you are talking to someone who is having sleeping problems ask them when the problems started and have they got a DECT phone.
Kind Regards,
John O'Hanlon

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi John

The radars I worked on in the 50s and 60s were high powered X Band (9000 mHz) radars and the side lobes of the scanners to which we were expose were stronger than todays mobile phone transmitters. I still remain sceptical.

There is a lot of disinformation surrounding the subject of electromagnetic radiation on both side of the argument. Until very recently it was claimed that using mobile phones in hospital could interfere with delicate instruments whilst totally ignoring the fact that porters, managers etc. were wandering around the hospital using radio communication which are more powerful than mobile phones. Now for some strange reason some hospitals now allow the use of mobile phones!

A friend of mine has a heart pacemaker and has used a mobile phone from the early days with no ill effect. Incidentally he worked on high powered communications for many years, nobody has suggested that his heart condition was caused by electromagnetic exposure.

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying there is no connection between EM radiation and Alzheimers just that I am highly sceptical but am open to persuasion given very strong evidence, all evidence so far is circumstantial on both sides of the argument.

Dick

Helena

May 24, 2006
What everyone is forgetting in all of these discussions is that susceptibility is the key

Mercury may have ill effects in one person but not another
same for Aluminium or any other heavy metal

Same thing for Radio waves or pesticides

but until the scientists can establish what each persons susceptibility is the best anyone can do is avoid all known and obvious poisons/toxins/dangers as much as humanly possible

English Lady

Jan 14, 2007
Essex
I think there is more than an element of truth in most of these theories but to someone like me, who worries if I get a spot on my head, it can turn into an exercise in hypochondria!

Sometimes I think we can go looking for these things but hey, I'm not poo pooing it. Last filling I had done was a white one, it cost me much more but it wasn't Mercury.

I keep worrying about whether I should get the Mercury ones drilled out and replaced, if I can pluck up courage to go to my dentist!

Sorry but where my OWN health is concerned, I'm a total wuss!

I just worry about all the other Worry Guts out there who might start feeling guilty because their parents lived next door to a substation or whatever.

In conclusion I will agree that these things need properly investigating but I also agree that there is too much revenue to be lost for the big corporations involved - and too many in each other's pockets for anyone to take it up at the level it should be investigated at. Somebody might find something out and lots of fat cats might lose out as a result. We can't have that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA