MMSE Tests

Mary Poppins

Sep 20, 2005
Yorkshire
My dad was referred last week to the mental health unit in the new area my parents have just moved to. Also a CPN is coming to visit. Dad is in his 6th year of AD and this is the first official assessment after original diagnosis. Mum always refused help but the move has proved an ideal opportunity to get this started. At the doctors appointment last week she behaved as though there was nothing wrong with him even though there obviously is - how many patients roll up their trouser legs and sing to their GP's? As I was there he did get the referral he needed thank goodness but its the next bit I am unsure about. On the site I have seen a lot about these tests but don't know what to expect - what do the scores mean and do they assess the level of need by the score? I want to make sure we are prepared for the next step as dad condition is rapidly declining. Mum still defends his behaviour which is natural considering the 55 years they have been together, but how long we can all carry on like this I am not sure.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hang in there Mary P.,

At last it looks as though your parents are going to get some professional/medical support, and that can only be good news. Good luck!

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Mary

If you go to Sandys reply in Craigs thread about Radio 4, you will find a link to the Radio 4 website and you can then listen to the short piece today about these tests.

When the page opens look on the lower left of the screen and select Tuesday to find it.

Good luckwith the referral, I can understand your Mum's denial as for many of our parents' generation, illness that affects the mind is seen as almost shameful and very frightening.

All the best to you all and lets hope they offer your Dad some help.

Kathleen
xx

Stimpfig

Oct 15, 2005
Germany/India
I just listened to the BBC programme. I couldn't recollect the three words - Apple, Table and Penny myself the first time as I was 'multi-tasking' and had a low attention span. With my mother, I have been repeating things and she seems to remember at last what 'shoes' mean. Earlier, she would always bring hand towels when asked to wear her fluffy shoes at home. I had read elsewhere that a message is retained when repeated 21 times over a period of time. I cannot tell if the prog. was edited to save time or if the patient was given enough 'training' to remember the three words.

It has also been found that a certain priest had been reading the same passages in the bible for years but when asked to recollect without looking, he wasn't able to do that. I am pretty convinced that the attention we accord to something is very important for retention and recollection.

Just expressing a viewpoint - nothing against MMSE tests :)

Sue Stimpfig

Last edited:

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Mary P.,

I far as I know the MMSE doesn't have any direct impact on the assessment of services that your parents will need at home. One step that should happen fairly shortly is a Community Care Assessment which is usually performed by Social Services. There is also a factsheet on this:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Getting_support/info_communityassessment.htm

You might just check whether or not the wheels have been put in motion for Social Services to make a home visit. The GP or CPN would have made the referral, but you can also contact SS yourself.

Just like with the GP's appointment, it would be good if you could be there to meet the Social Worker. I did something similar as my mother-in-law, who looks after my father-in-law, was sceptical at first about needing outside help and didn't realise what types of services were available (like a visit by an occupational therapist to look at grab rails and the like). I didn't know much more, but at least I was willing to ask the questions - she's more reticent.

Now, she doesn't know what she'd do without her twice weekly visits from carers to allow her to get out of the house.

Take care,

Sandy

Mary Poppins

Sep 20, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm hanging on!

Hi everyone
Thanks for your help.......... I am going back up to mum & Dads tomorrow, Dad has got to see the nurse to take general health things like weight, blood pressure etc. I think mum is worried he will be abusive and as I can 'handle' him she feels less embarrassed. I am soooooooo tired. You think you have sorted out one thing and another is coming up behind you to tap you on the shoulder. This time it is something we never even thought about...... Mum & dad have moved into a newly renovated bungalow and the gas fir looks like a coal fire so dad keeps throwing things on it like he used to when we were little and we had a proper fire. Also the slide mechanism to turn it on is distressing him, he won't leave it alone and keeps putting on the fire without igniting it. I have contacted the suppliers to ask about automatic cut off for the gas as I am worried about them, also I think we are going to take out the fire and put in one of those radiant types that were around a lot in the 1980's as he is okay with those. Last night I am ashamed to say it all got too much for me and I went to bed and wept like a baby :(
Mum is not well - she has shingles :(

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Dear Mary P,
Please, don't you DARE say you're ashamed for having wept tears of exhaustion, frustration and sadness. It's better to let some of the pressure out that way if you can.

Oh dear ... :eek: Shingles! It never rains but it bloody well pours, eh?

Sympathy & Best Wishes